Default Online Background Checks

My question involves criminal records for the state of: OR

Does anyone here have any familiarity with online background check processes? Do they update their records after a conviction has been expunged or sealed, or does this information remain in their systems forever? I know itís illegal for employers to do this, but they will often look at online background checks of prospective candidates before continuing on with the hiring process.

Default Re: Online Background Checks

It depends on the checking company. I've found that many will actually delete things that are sealed, but others have data that lingers. Oddly, enough, I've found expungement of charges to trigger a "new information about this person" popup on old arrests.

I don't know why you think it is illegal for employers to conduct background checks. It's restricted, but not outright prohibited.

Quote Quoting jabzag
    View Post
    Does anyone here have any familiarity with online background check processes?
    Let's start with the fact that a "background check" can mean almost anything -- i.e., there is no uniformity, so referring to "the background check process" is completely vague.

Quote Quoting jabzag
    View Post
    Do they update their records after a conviction has been expunged or sealed
    Without knowing who "they" are, it's impossible to tell you anything about what "they" do.

Quote Quoting jabzag
    View Post
    does this information remain in their systems forever?
    Virtually nothing lasts forever.

With the internet, nothing stays hidden forever.

Even sealed and/or expunged records could leave a footprint in the sands of cyberspace.

The way most background companies work is they get the data in their database from various state and federal databases and store them forever. Updating them when they get new data from wherever.

Quality BG providers use their internal database for a first pass when they are hired to do a check on a person. Depending on how, when and what the info they have in their database they will then check further, down to the county or city level, if something pops during the first pass. They would likely see the expunged record (or actually see that the original record was no longer there) and update their database and report it like it wasn't there.

Not so quality providers get their data from government and non-government sources and only update when they have to.

1. Sponsored Links