Unhappy First Ticket for 16 Year Old Teen

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Kansas

I was on my way to a friend's house to study (I'm on my less restricted license) and it was about 8:15pm on October the 23rd. I was pulled over and ticketed for going 51 in a 30. I hadn't even realized I was going so fast. The ticket said I'm required to go to court on November 13th. My parents (mom especially) are rightfully very angry with me and have taken my phone and car for the foreseeable future. I want to make this as easy as possible and come away from it without making things worse with my parents.

My first question is: How do I plead in court? I want to make the process easy but I don't want it to stay on my record or make my parents insurance go up.

Second question: How big a fine am I looking at? This is a first time offense and I'm 16 years old.

Third question: Will I lose my license? I currently have a less restricted until January of 2020. I graduated from the instructional permit in July of 2019.

Fourth question: Will this stay on my record? Like I said, I'm still a minor and this is the first ticket I've ever gotten. My friend got in an accident a couple months ago and although it was her fault, she got it removed from her record. Surely if she could get an accident that she caused off her record, I can somehow lessen the speeding ticket?

Fifth question: I am very, very okay with attending a type of traffic school/class to help my case, but what would that entail? I really have no idea where to go from here.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as neither my parents or I are sure of what to do. Thank you.

Default Re: First Ticket for 16 Year Old Teen

(b) and (c) are alternatives to suspension, etc. You would have to plead with the court to do those.

https://law.justia.com/codes/kansas/...section-8-2117

It appears, according to this, the record would not be viewable to the "general public". See the right hand column/margin under "Exceptions" of who can view it.

http://juvenilerecords.jlc.org/juven...ctsheet-KS.pdf

Default Re: First Ticket for 16 Year Old Teen

1. How you plead is something you should discuss with your parents and, if they are so inclined, a lawyer.
    2. No idea. Only someone local is likely to be able to answer this.
    3. Losing a license is unlikely for a single speeding ticket. However, it's possible that more than 20 mph over the speed limit is not treated as a garden variety speeding ticket. What is the statute number that appears on your ticket? It may look something like, "8-15xx."
    4. Yes, it will "stay on [your] record," but the question is for how long. According to a quick google search, tickets for minor offenses remain on a driver's record for three years. If I were you, I'd take your friend's claim with a healthy degree of skepticism. Also, driving records are not generally available to the general public, but your/your parent's insurer will likely find out about it.
    5. When I was much younger, traffic school involved sitting in a classroom for a full day on a Saturday. When I got a ticket a couple years ago, I did online traffic school, and I don't recall it taking much more than 45-60 minutes. I'd suggest googling "traffic school in kansas."

1. Sponsored Links