Question Mortgage Help While on SSI

My wife was just approved for SSI- we were hoping for SSDI but that was denied. I am currently caring for her full time due to her poor health. It looks like she should get the full amount of SSI which is like $770 I believe. Unfortunately, our mortgage payment is a bit more than that, not to mention other living expenses. I know if we get assistance paying anything it will count against that amount. A family member floated the idea of paying off the remainder on the mortgage for us- is that even possible without losing benefits? For example, if someone paid off the balance of our house directly to the mortgage company and we reported it to SSI appropriately would that just end all benefits? Or is there some permissible way to accomplish that? She hasn't even received her first payment yet, but we are brainstorming any way to make this work.

Default Re: Mortgage Help While on SSI

It won't end benefits but I believe it will result in a 1/3 reduction (plus $20) for the year in which any such "help" is made. You're payment would decrease $277 for a year. You had best confirm this with the SSA.

https://www.ssa.gov/agency/contact/

The 1/3 reduction, also called in-kind support and maintenance or ISM, would apply in any month that a third party paid a part of your food or shelter bill. So a gift of payoff of your mortgage would be ISM in the month the mortgage is paid off. If you were still owners the following month, then there would be no more ISM. So that is a good idea, if you can convince a family member to give you such a gift and get nothing in return. Very generous.

Be sure the family member makes the payment directly to the mortgage company. If they give the money directly to you. It will count as income the month it is given to you. Unearned income is deducted dollar for dollar from monthly SSI benefits.

I'm someone certain that paying off the mortgage would result in the reduction for a year. Large chunks like that would be annualized. But they'll still come out way ahead.

I'm someone certain that paying off the mortgage would result in the reduction for a year.

Nope. Yes that may be a logical conclusion, but like spending down a large chunk of money does not get annualized. It is a monthly determination. In-kind income is charged in the month received.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0500835350

Quote Quoting Findingtree
    View Post
    My wife was just approved for SSI- we were hoping for SSDI but that was denied.

Look into hiring a social security attorney and re-apply. Might take about two years but if approved, the benefits are retroactive.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Look into hiring a social security attorney and re-apply. Might take about two years but if approved, the benefits are retroactive.

The medical requirements are the same for SSDI and SSI. When a claimant is,approved for SSI and denied SSDI. They do not have enough work credits for SSDI. A attorney cannot change their number of work credits.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    The medical requirements are the same for SSDI and SSI. When a claimant is,approved for SSI and denied SSDI. They do not have enough work credits for SSDI. A attorney cannot change their number of work credits.
    I agree. Someone has to have 40 work credits to qualify for any kind of SSDI...even if its only a very small amount that ends up supplemented with SSI. No attorney can do anything to increase someone's work credits.

1. Sponsored Links