Default 2 States(California and Va), Toyota Financial Services and No Title

1. Car is born in CA in 2011. It is electronically titled in CA in 2011. Financed through Toyota.
    2. Car moved to VA in 2013. It is titled in VA in 2012. Still financed through Toyota.
    3. Car is still in VA. Car is titled as out of state in 2012 in CA records. What CA did with title in #1, I do not know.
    4. Car moved to CA in 2013. Car is registered as non transferable golden rod(no title) in CA in 2013. Still financed through Toyota.
    5. Paid off my loan in 2015. I have lien release from Toyota.

My end goal is to get correct title issued to me. VA is title state. I want it to be in proper status in both VA and CA records. I have spoken to DMVs and Toyota multiple times and no one is offering clear path for me to get title. Will the below plan work?

A. Can and should I get first CA title(issued in 2011) to be transferred to VA? Will I hit any roadblocks in it because car is registered in CA now.
    B. VA is asking proof that car is not titled in CA and only registered in CA? Once #1 happens and if I show golden rod registration card to VA, will VA issue my title?
    C. Once VA issues my title, I plan to take to CA and get it titled from CA to convert golden rod to regular title.

Is this correct plan? If not, do you have suggestions? What can I do to make A happen? Can I write any letter to CA title department explaining situation? Calling them has been very painful and inefficient.

Sorry. Typo in 2 above.
    2. Car moved to VA in 2012(not in 2013). It is titled in VA in 2012. Still financed through Toyota.

Default Re: 2 States(California and Va), Toyota Financial Services and No Title

Title #1 is history as soon as the Virginia title is issued. Why didn't you properly transfer the title back to California when you moved?
    It's not clear why Toyota has any responsibility to you once they've issued the lien release. You can write California all they want, but they're not advised to give you a title for a car that is titled elsewhere that you can present the title for.

The problem is definitely with Virginia. I'm not sure why Virginia won't issue you a title. They likely are confused as the concept of a non-title registration, which doesn't exist in Virginia (or neighboring states).
    You probably will need to describe to them what a non-title registration is (do not use slang terms like "goldenrod" or "non-transferable," The proper thing you've done is register a non-California titled vehicle).
    I've found that the VA DMV email / phone support is pretty good, but you need to be clear about what you have:

1. A car with a Virginia title (formerly transfered from CA).
    2. A lien release.
    3. No subsequent title changes.
    4. A special non-title in registration that reflects the car is still titled in VA.

1. Sponsored Links