Angry Impeding Traffic Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Ohio.

I was dropping my daughter off at school as I normally do for 2 years now at the crosswalk. Today, when I dropped her off there was a car already in from of me stopped letting their child out. I pulled up behind the "already stopped" car to let my daughter out. When I pulled off the cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket for Impeding traffic.

My question is, Should I fight this in court rather than just paying the fine? I don't know how much the fine is yet and I know it doesn't add points to my license or go to my insurance, but there are some key reasons on why I feel that I should dispute it.

First there was a car in front of me stopped, so I had to stop. Secondly, I had to continue to be stopped b/c teachers and other students were crossing the crosswalk. And Third, there were no cars behind me. How could I be cited for impeding traffic when I couldn't move in the first place. Is it illegal to let someone out if traffic is already stopped?

Default Re: Impeding Traffic Ticket

On your ticket is there a specific code number you violated?

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    On your ticket is there a specific code number you violated?
    ORC is 4511.22

Looks like you might have a valid defense:

https://law.justia.com/codes/ohio/20...ction-4511.22/

Worth a shot.

Up to you.

Quote Quoting Njacks1
    View Post
    My question is, Should I fight this in court rather than just paying the fine? I don't know how much the fine is yet...
    Unless you have had at least one other traffic citation/offense you were found guilty of in the past year, since you were cited under state law, it is a Minor Misdemeanor, no jail time, no jury, max fine $150.00 + any costs.

Quote Quoting RJR
    View Post
    Unless you have had at least one other traffic citation/offense you were found guilty of in the past year, since you were cited under state law, it is a Minor Misdemeanor, no jail time, no jury, max fine $150.00 + any costs.
    The best way to never get the second offense is not to be found guilty of the first offense.

Given that the OP doesn't seem to have actually violated the law, if I were the OP I'd fight it.

Thank you! I think I will fight it. I definitely feel like I am not in the wrong and I don't have $150 to waste. I'm an excellent driver, no tickets or accidents in over 10 years.

4511.22(A) No person shall stop or operate a vehicle, trackless trolley, or street car at such an unreasonably slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when stopping or reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or to comply with law.

As per what you have stated here, you are not guilty because (1) You were not impeding anyone, as there was no one behind you, and (2) Safety did require you to stop because a car stopped in front of you, and thereafter you had to let pedestrians cross in front of you. I'd say you have no real choice but to fight it.

1. Sponsored Links