Hybrid View

Default Passing a Police Car

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

Hello,
    One police car stopped on the roadside outside my apartment (red circle) with light flashing. I did not realize that it is a sign of road closure and drove through the intersection, as indicated by the red arrow, and by-passed the police car. Then I was beeped and I stopped. One policeman came with anger and told me that the road is closed and I should not pass the police car with flashing light. He took a picture of my driver license and asked me to turn back. Will I get a citation?
    Many thanks,
    Hui

Default Re: Passing a Police Car

WILL you get a citation? Maybe. There's no way to say. All you can do now is wait.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: Passing a Police Car

It's possible but unlikely. I wouldn't worry about it.

No, red flashing lights are not a standard signal for a road closure. Red flashing lights indicate an emergency situation. You are required to yield the right of way with the vehicle is moving and you are required to proceed with caution if you can legally do so. If you can move to the far lane that is preferred.

If a road is blocked off, typically it is done by a police vehicle literally blocking the road or signs erected consistent with MUTCD standards. Police can block off the road using other means.

If the road was not obviously blocked off and if you obeyed all orders, I can not think of any law you violated.

Edit:Can you describe in more detail you mean by "One police car stopped on the roadside.. (red circle) with light flashing"?

1. Sponsored Links