Default Carpets in Rental

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Washington

I recognize that there is a time line for when carpets will wear down in a rental and should be replaced, as well as how long they should last.
    Is there anything that changes that? For example, the typical carpets are usually not walked on 18hrs per day (assumption is adults work and kids are in school) so is there an allowance in the law at all for homebound people who are there 24hrs/day?
    Is "normal wear and tear" only granted as typical for "most" people? Is there any case law exceptions for this?

(sorry.. It's 3am and I should be asleep instead of perusing forum threads...)

Thank you!!

Default Re: Carpets in Rental

Quote Quoting SandlingAllDay
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Washington

I recognize that there is a time line for when carpets will wear down in a rental and should be replaced, as well as how long they should last.
    Is there anything that changes that? For example, the typical carpets are usually not walked on 18hrs per day (assumption is adults work and kids are in school) so is there an allowance in the law at all for homebound people who are there 24hrs/day?
    Is "normal wear and tear" only granted as typical for "most" people? Is there any case law exceptions for this?

(sorry.. It's 3am and I should be asleep instead of perusing forum threads...)

Thank you!!
    Typical carpeting found in rentals would have a 5-7 year life. Extra good quality carpeting might go as much as 10 years, but no more. However, that doesn't mean that the landlord MUST replace the carpeting in that time period. If the carpeting is in good shape, the landlord can put off replacing it. What that does mean is that the landlord cannot charge the tenant for replacing the carpeting, once its past its useful life. It also means that the landlord cannot charge the tenant for more than its depreciated value if its still within its useful life. for example, if the carpeting is 3 years old then the landlord might only be able to charge a tenant 2/5ths of the original cost of the carpeting if it must be replaced 2 years early.

Default Re: Carpets in Rental

Interestingly, the 5-7 year life of a rental is really connected to an IRS depreciation for tax purposes. There are some landlords who charge a vacating tenant full price for replacing damaged carpet no matter the age of the carpet being removed. Whether this charge holds up in court should a tenant wish to sue over this can vary from state to state and judge to judge.

Gail

1. Sponsored Links