Default Is Evidence Tampering Common and Accepted

My question involves police conduct in the State of: OR

If police are certain a subject committed a major crime, but they don't have the evidence they need to prove it at a particular location, would police be ethically/morally justified in moving, planting, or even fabricating evidence in order to solve their case? I realize this is technically and legally considered maleficence, but it could also be considered benevolent corruption where the ends justify the means. Finally, if there is anyone on this board who is familiar with actual police practices, how often does this sort of evidence tampering happen in reality?

Default Re: Is Evidence Tampering Common and Accepted

No, it is not justified.

No, it is not a common thing despite what TV shows might depict.

Quote Quoting jabzag
    View Post

If police are certain a subject committed a major crime, but they don't have the evidence they need to prove it at a particular location, would police be ethically/morally justified in moving, planting, or even fabricating evidence in order to solve their case?
    No. If the police are "certain" a subject committed a crime but don't have the evidence to prove it then their certainty is misplaced because it isn't based on evidence, it's based on something else, whether it is bias, jumping to conclusions, or whatever. That's the sort of thing that leads to wrongful convictions and that the rules are meant to protect against.

Quote Quoting jabzag
    View Post
    If police are certain a subject committed a major crime, but they don't have the evidence they need to prove it at a particular location, would police be ethically/morally justified in moving, planting, or even fabricating evidence in order to solve their case?
    This sounds a heck of a lot like a homework assignment, and this question does not raise any legal issue. Why don't you tell us what you think the answer is, and we can give you feedback on your answer?

Quote Quoting jabzag
    View Post

No, no, no, NO!

I realize this is technically and legally considered maleficence, but it could also be considered benevolent corruption where the ends justify the means. Finally, if there is anyone on this board who is familiar with actual police practices, how often does this sort of evidence tampering happen in reality?
    While I'd have to be a moron to believe it has never happened, I have never personally known of an instance where there has been any such intentional malfeasance and I don't know any officers who would support any such actions no matter how justifiable the ends might be.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

I realize this is technically and legally considered maleficence, but it could also be considered benevolent corruption where the ends justify the means.
    "Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor".

We are not talking about preventing a holocaust here and the only way to prevent it is to frame a person (s).

1. Sponsored Links