Default Double White Line Ticket on 91 E / Fast Track

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California
    I was in the number 4 lane next to the barriers attempting to get into the entry on the fast track on the 91 east bound freeway. I had moved from the 1 lane all the way over to the number 4 which had taken me from the interchange from 241/133 like 1 1/2 hrs due to traffic. I saw the sign that said entry to fast track 1/2 mile and proceeded to drive in very heavy traffic. Unfortunately, right after the barriers ended I moved over left and crossed the double white line and it was actually the EXIT for the fast track drivers and not the entry to where I needed to go. An Orange County cop immediately put his lights on and pulled up to my left side and said get over now very rudely. Anyway, in heavy traffic I followed him over all the way to the far right. He said I entered the exit and closed the double white lines and could have been rear ended. I was in shock because I really did not know what I did was wrong. I thought right after the barriers was the entry point and that I could enter there. He said the entry area was like another 1/2 mile or more up. What is crazy is that I usually do not drive the fast track as I do not usually need to take it as I had a doctors appointment and when I have gone before my husband drives as I am medically disabled and he never takes it. We have only had the transponder a short time, but like I said have not really had to use it because of the times my appointment and the traffic has been good before.
    I know what I did was wrong but it is confusing w the markings. I have an exceptional record. I think 1 ticket when I was 21 and I am 56 now.i hardly drive and I have not taken a written driving test since I was age 16. Plus, u would think before they pass out the transponders a simulation test might be good right? Well, I am asking if anyone has any recommendations for me. I am disabled, the sitting, standing, and prolonged driving is very debilitating in itself for me. The cost involved for the ticket I am sure is expensive. The cop said it is. The back of the ticket is so confusing to me. Looks like I have to show up to OC court house. So another drive and Iíll be dead when I need to have surgery. Please someone help!

Default Re: Double White Line Ticket on 91 E / Fast Track

You can't cross double white lines (except to yield to an emergency vehicle) in either direction. The fact your education was not 'exceptional' in such regard doesn't mean anything.
    If charged with 21655.8(a), it's indeed $490 and a point. You can admit guilt and pay the ticket without an appearance. You can pay here and also set up a payment plan (https://www.occourts.org/directory/t...xtensions.html). You can try a trial by written declaration or appear by the date on your ticket. If you want to avoid the point you can ask for traffic school. It will cost $52 more for the option (plus you have to pay whatever the school wants for tuition). OC does allow payment plans on the state's part of the traffic school fine/fees.

I was charged w VC 21460 (b) improper turnover double solid white lines. NOT THE (a)! Does this make a difference?

Quote Quoting Toosieq
    View Post
    I was charged w VC 21460 (b) improper turnover double solid white lines. NOT THE (a)! Does this make a difference?
    21460(b) states:
    "If double parallel solid white lines are in place, a person driving a vehicle shall not cross any part of those double solid white lines, except as permitted in this section or Section 21655.8."

The fine will be around $237 with 1 point and is traffic school eligible if you are.
    I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.

Jep, Jim is right. The rest of what I wrote with the exception of the VC section and the fine amount is correct.

Ok thank u.
    I will show up at the designated court house and plead no contest and ask for a reduction in the fine if possible due to my medical disability and not working and ask for on line traffic school to take the point off my record.
    I do think the traffic school would do me some good since I have not taken a written test since I was 16 and I hardly do any driving. Since I was ignorant to the law this tells me I have some learning to do as there are new laws.
    Do u think saying this would help my case? Should I bring any paperwork that says I am medically disabled? Anything else u think that may help me?

I'd avoid making excuses about why you didn't know the law. Double parallel lines have been on the books in some form or another since before you were born.

Yes, you can ask (after pleading guilty) to an ability to pay determination. Bring your documentation as to your disability status if you have it in some form (something from the SSA or Medical would be great).

You can also ask for an affordable payment plan, more time to pay, and/or community service, which pays at the rate of $22/hr.
    I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.

Thank you again and I will do what you say.
    For this post I will say that although it may have been on the books in some form or another since before I was born I can honestly say I have only seen the double yellow lines only. Only until that day I saw the double white lines and honest to God I thought it only separated the fast track lanes from the other lanes. Plus, I thought they put the barriers up for extra protection to protect those wanting to go into the fast track lane during heavy traffic. So, that is why I said my ignorance and my mistake.
    Since, my ticket although the cop was rude I do not think I will ever use the fast track again as I can’t afford to get another ticket and my record has been exceptional! It’s sad that my a cop could not have given me a warning and there could be a system to be entered into the computer that if it happened again and I was stopped then it would be a different story.
    Thank u again for your recommendations!

1. Sponsored Links