Default Unable To Renew Colorado License Due To New Jersey Fines

I used to live in New Jersey and never had a Lic. there, just an ID card which is issued with what I guess your Lic # would be, if you had one. My Issue is I live in Colorado, and do have a Lic. here, but when I tried to renew it I was told that I my driving privilege is suspended in the state of New Jersey due to $ 2400.00 in overtime meter, and street sweeping tickets, a $100.00 bench warrant, and a $100.00 fine for abandonment of a vehicle. This is a lot of money to pay, and due to not having driving privileges I can not obtain employment. I also do not have the means to go to New Jersey to answer to these charges. I called the New Jersey court system and spoke to the court clerk who advised me to write a letter of hardship explaining why I could not come to NJ to answer, and how I plan to rectify, so that he (The Clerk) may present to the Judge on my behalf. My question is what is reasonable to suggest to the judge in my hardship letter to satisfy these outstanding charges, due to me being unemployed and again not being able to obtain employment, and my wife being the sole financial supporter for our entire family consisting of five children and our selves? Or should I not suggest and request the judge to determine? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Unable To Renew Colorado License Due To New Jersey Fines

The problem with not paying the fines is that even if the court accepts a proposed payment plan, which seems to be what the clerk was suggesting, it isn't necessarily the case that the suspension will be lifted until you pay off your New Jersey fines and court assessments and a New Jersey license reinstatement fee. It probably won't be - you can try consulting a New Jersey traffic lawyer to find out if it is possible to get your license back before all of your fines are paid.

My suggestion is to scrape together enough money to pay off the New Jersey assessments in their entirety, submit payment to the court along with your letter about why it would be a hardship to appear in person, and hope that the court accepts that as a resolution of the charge. Then I would make sure that I paid any New Jersey reinstatement fee. Then I would renew my Colorado license.

1. Sponsored Links