My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Missouri/Indiana

Bear with me on this:

I bought a MacBook pro off a guy who lives in Indiana, I live in Missouri. I found it on the facebook marketplace. After multiple mediums of confirming the device works on my end (pictures, phone calls conversations) spanning a couple of weeks, I received the Macbook pro and it proved to not be in the condition as described (the Touch Bar malfunctions, even though the seller claims the device had no running problems.) The seller initially communicated with me when I informed him of the situation, but has not responded to any of my calls or texts in the last three weeks.

I wanted to pay with PayPal in order to have insurance on the item if I received it and it proved defective (which it did) but the buyer insisted on receiving a venmo payment in order to receive an instant payment. I have contacted venmo, and they have informed me to visit my local police department. I need advice on what my next steps of action should be. This is all the information I have on the seller:
His name and address.
His phone number.
His place of employment.

I also have copies of conversations of him stating that the item was in perfect condition, in fact he claimed he "barely ever used it."
For context, it was a 2017 Macbook pro w/ Touch Bar. I paid $700 for the item.

Any help is appreciated.