Default Florida Rental

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Florida

I am renting a house, before moving in, landlord promised that trees around yard would be cleaned up(severely overgrown). Within first month, winds from a storm knocked down part of the fence around backyard(I have dogs). I sent pics to landlord and advised when happened. Landlord said they would fix. Landlord then said they wouldn't replace without talking to people who owned adjacent property to damaged fence because in landlords opinion, they should pay half.
    Long story short, fence was never repaired, has deteriorated even further to where my dogs can easily escape.
    Trees around yard are still severely overgrown and were never cleaned up by landlord as promised prior to move in.
    Is this something that rent can be withheld for?

Default Re: Florida Rental

Quote Quoting Cacti345
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Florida

I am renting a house, before moving in, landlord promised that trees around yard would be cleaned up(severely overgrown). Within first month, winds from a storm knocked down part of the fence around backyard(I have dogs). I sent pics to landlord and advised when happened. Landlord said they would fix. Landlord then said they wouldn't replace without talking to people who owned adjacent property to damaged fence because in landlords opinion, they should pay half.
    Long story short, fence was never repaired, has deteriorated even further to where my dogs can easily escape.
    Trees around yard are still severely overgrown and were never cleaned up by landlord as promised prior to move in.
    Does the lease mention the fence? Have you continued to ask for the fence to be repaired or have you been passive about it? I am also trying to wrap my head around what you might mean by trees being overgrown?...and how you want them "cleaned up"?

I have heard of bushes being overgrown and needing to be trimmed, but that word in the context of trees baffles me.

Default Re: Florida Rental

Quote Quoting Cacti345
    View Post

No. The only thing withholding rent gets you is evicted for non-payment.

If you are going to do it, understand that you take a big risk that the LL might evict you rather than wake up.

Note that 83.51 doesn't oblige the LL to do anything with fences or trees:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...entsIndex.html

1. Sponsored Links