Default Temporary Custody of Grandchildren

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Virginia and West Virginia

My daughter, a single mother, attempted suicide and is hospitalized. She and the children live in Virginia and I live in West Virginia. If I want to obtain temporary custody of the children (with her consent), do I go to the courts in Virginia or in West Virginia?

Default Re: Temporary Custody of Grandchildren

Speak to a family practice attorney in Virginia.

Quote Quoting LanceBabe
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Virginia and West Virginia

My daughter, a single mother, attempted suicide and is hospitalized. She and the children live in Virginia and I live in West Virginia. If I want to obtain temporary custody of the children (with her consent), do I go to the courts in Virginia or in West Virginia?
    You'd have to that in Virginia, and thus you should see a family law attorney in that state. If she's willing to allow you to care for them temporarily there may be no need to go to court for this.

Quote Quoting LanceBabe
    View Post

I agree with the previous response, however you might not need to go the route of temporary custody, depending on what your needs are. Your daughter can allow you to care for the children without temporary custody. A POA (Power of Attorney) might be sufficient. She can give you a POA voluntarily without the need for any court action at all. The only possible issue would be if you need to enroll the children in school. In that instance, you should ask your local school district what they would accept in order to be able to enroll the children in school. They may accept a POA or they might require that you get temporary custody.

The other issue, with temporary custody, is that you must also serve the father(s) of the children and they would then have the opportunity to contest you getting temporary custody.

1. Sponsored Links