Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I Canít Live with the People I Live with Anymore

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

A while back when my dad got back home drunk and he attacked me he didnít get arrested and I did not move out. He went for my throat trying to choke me pretty much wanting to end my life but apparently I did the most damage protecting myself so he didnít get arrested. My parole officer didnít do anything either and I guess itís up to me to move out on my own. I canít do anything right now when it comes to money or work since I have restrictions on getting a drivers license since I checked the box that I have schizophrenia when I was younger. Right now I made an appointment to see my primary doctor to get a referral for a psychiatrist to sign off that I can drive. But I donít see how itís okay to let me stay with someone who has homicidal tendencies towards me. I donít talk to him but for some reason heís still yelling at me trying to get my attention or get me to say something back at him. He still demands me to do things around the house but I donít since Iím not on good terms with him obviously. So what is there for a person like me to do in such a situation that Iím in right now?

Default Re: I Canít Live with the People I Live with Anymore

How old are you?

Iím 25 years old

Quote Quoting Misanthropic
    View Post
    He still demands me to do things around the house but I don’t since I’m not on good terms with him obviously. So what is there for a person like me to do in such a situation that I’m in right now?
    Not a legal issue.

Maybe you'd be on better terms if you got off your butt and actually did things around the house to earn your keep. Whatever problems you have, he's providing you a place to live rent free because you have no money and no driver license and can't go anywhere else.

If you were my freeloading kid I'd probably want to throttle you.

View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

A while back when my dad got back home drunk and he attacked me he didnít get arrested and I did not move out. He went for my throat trying to choke me pretty much wanting to end my life but apparently I did the most damage protecting myself so he didnít get arrested.
    Did you call the police at the time of the attack? Or, did you report it much later? Did you ask that he be arrested (which could not be done on a later report, anyway)? Keep in mind that even if he were arrested, the police could not make him move out.

Also understand that the usual response for most misdemeanors (i.e. battery) is a citation and release, not a trip to jail.

If dad suffered most of the injuries and there was a possibility of you being arrested if you insisted upon his arrest, then that might explain things.

My parole officer didnít do anything either and I guess itís up to me to move out on my own.
    Your parole officer cannot do anything to other people, only to you.

I canít do anything right now when it comes to money or work since I have restrictions on getting a drivers license since I checked the box that I have schizophrenia when I was younger. Right now I made an appointment to see my primary doctor to get a referral for a psychiatrist to sign off that I can drive. But I donít see how itís okay to let me stay with someone who has homicidal tendencies towards me. I donít talk to him but for some reason heís still yelling at me trying to get my attention or get me to say something back at him. He still demands me to do things around the house but I donít since Iím not on good terms with him obviously. So what is there for a person like me to do in such a situation that Iím in right now?
    About all you can do is move out. If you are not comfortable where you live, leave.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Here's how your post reads to me: First, you are a convicted criminal. You didn't tell us what happened or what your conditions of parole might be, but you wouldn't be on parole if you weren't a convicted criminal. You apparently don't have a job. You don't do things around the house. You don't get a long with your father. Notwithstanding all of that, your father still allows you to live with him. Pretty generous of him in my view.

You described only a single violent incident between you and your father, and the authorities chose to take no action regarding that incident. Therefore, I agree that there's no legal issue here. I don't understand your statement about it being not "okay to let [you] stay with" your father. He is letting you stay there, but that's obviously his prerogative. That being the case, it's entirely up to you whether continue to stay or move out.

So, what's the problem? Is this just a matter of you expecting your father to provide for you while you do nothing around the house and don't work?

If you're 25 years old, then unless your father has been made your legal guardian due to your mental health issues OR a condition of your parole is that you live with your father, there's nothing stopping you from moving out on your own. You're a legal adult; with the two exceptions already mentioned no one is responsible for you except you.

View Post
    ...... He still demands me to do things around the house but I don’t since I’m not on good terms with him obviously. So what is there for a person like me to do in such a situation that I’m in right now?
    Perhaps if you actually helped around the house he wouldn't yell at you.

You can use a city bus to get to and from work. Not having a drivers license is no excuse for not working. I guess your next excuse will be you do not have a car.

cdwjava, are people with schizophrenia not allowed to have a drivers license in California? If the OP is not under treatment for schizophrenia. There is no current proof they have it. The diagnosis when they were a child could have been incorrect.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    You can use a city bus to get to and from work. Not having a drivers license is no excuse for not working. I guess your next excuse will be you do not have a car.

cdwjava, are people with schizophrenia not allowed to have a drivers license in California? If the OP is not under treatment for schizophrenia. There is no current proof they have it. The diagnosis when they were a child could have been incorrect.
    There is no specific restriction against people with schizophrenia that I am aware of. It is possible, however, that a re-examination could be ordered and might include a medical clearance which can include a psych. evaluation.

A link for info:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1.../pm_guidelines
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast