Default Illegal Left Turn into a Drive Way - VC 22101-D

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California (Los Angeles)

Officer pulled me over for making an illegal left into a parking lot (100ft before an intersection) and disobeying no-left-turn sign and ignoring merging street cones due to construction at said intersection. As far as I know, it's not illegal to turn left into a private driveway, and the no-left-turn sign is for the left turn lane at the intersection. Merging cones started around at the entrance of the parking lot, so I did have to pass over those cones.

Some context, there is construction at an intersection of a four lane street (2 lanes each direction, with a left turn lane at the end of intersection). Half of the intersection is closed off due to construction, so there is a no-left-turn sign at the end of the left turn lane where intersection meets. There is also a merge to right sign and merging cones to force the left lane traffic to merge into a single right lane. I needed to make a left turn into a parking lot where I park for work which is about 100 feet away from the intersection and before the posted signs. I did have to cross merging cones in order to make that turn.

Any advice as to whether or not I have a case to dispute this via written declaration? Or should I simply just pay the fine and traffic school? Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Illegal Left Turn into a Drive Way - VC 22101-D

It would all depend on whether this is a business district, what the signage and road markings are, and what exactly you are charged with.

You're free to try a TBD, but in most cases, it's a losing proposition.

VC 22101(d) provides as follows: "When official traffic control devices are placed as required in subdivisions (b) or (c), it shall be unlawful for any driver of a vehicle to disobey the directions of such official traffic control devices."

By any chance did you make your turn across a double solid yellow line?

Care to tell us which intersection is at issue here so we can take a look at it?

My mistake, I just looked at the intersection on google and there is no left turn lane. The left lane was just closed up ahead past the entrance of the lot. Yes there is a double solid yellow line to turn into the SP+ parking lot.

Here's the intersection:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0436...7i16384!8i8192

Quote Quoting pg1067
    By any chance did you make your turn across a double solid yellow line?
    I'm not sure if this is what you were hinting at or not but per 21460 d, this maneuver would be permitted.

OP,

Based on the language of 22101 d, the officer charged you up with failing to obey the no left turn sign for the intersection, not the temporary merge right cones and sign. The statute clearly only applies to " turning movements at an intersection". Since you were not at an intersection the statute does not apply. I think it is worthy of a declaration.

Yes, definitely should contest. The "no left turn" prohibition clearly applied to the intersection, not the parking lot. I suggest enclosing pictures of the location so you make it as clear as possible.

1. Sponsored Links