Default Moving Out at 16

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Colorado. I am 16 and looking to move out of a dangerous home and into a safer one. I make about 500-700 dollars and have a close friends who will let me move in. Im not sure how hard my parents will fight me to move out. I know that in order to get emancipated I will first have to move out, but Im not sure if I will be marked as a runaway. I have read many different places that if I am marked as a runaway I an take identification and my new address to the police station and if marked safe they are unlikely to make me go back to an unsafe environment. I will be on an insurance policy with my significant other until my emancipation is complete and I can attempt to get my own health insurance. I will still be in school as I work evenings. What are my chances of this working in my favor?

Default Re: Moving Out at 16

You aren't going to get emancipated. You can put that out of your head. No judge is going to approve of you moving out to shack up with your SO. We don't emancipate those who are truly in danger, we find alternative custody. If you move out without your parents consent and they chose to contest it, you will indeed be considered a runaway and those who are helping you will be committing a crime and could go to jail for doing so.

If you are truly in an abusive situation, you need to talk to the authorities (someone at your school, the police, etc...). If you can't find anybody else, dial 1 844 CO 4 KIDS (1-844-264-5437).

Given that your state does not have a statute for minor emancipation, I wouldn't bet the rent on it working out. If you were paying all of your own support and completely managing your own financial affairs, I'd give you a 50/50 shot. But living with others who will be paying part or all of your support isn't going to cut it.

I work with health insurance every day. At 16, you will not be getting your own health insurance without your parents' signature (and quite likely not even with it) and you will not be added to your "significant other's" insurance without a court order to that effect.

You can't get emancipated without your parents' agreement and the demonstrable ability to support yourself financially without assistance from anyone else. It seems unlikely that you have either of those things.

Only the local police can give you reliable information as to whether they'll force you to return home if you run away. If the situation is truly dangerous, you need to report that to the police or the local child protective services authority.

All this talk about emancipation when it really is a read herring. You can do whatever you want until someone (your parents, the courts) say your can't. Don't ask permission, just do it. If you want to move out then you move out. Chances are that your parents will do nothing because if they didn't care about your issues when you were living with them, they won't care about them when you move out.

Living with a friend doesn't mean that you have to be able to sign a lease. Emancipation only means that you are free from your parents control and some you can sign some legal documents. If you can make a life work at age 16 then you should go for it. Don't worry about the legal consequences. You're not going to end up in jail. The worst that will happen is that you will be returned to parents care.

I know lots of persons that left home before they reached the age of 18 and did fine. The law is one thing but what parents do when they really don't care is another.

Quote Quoting Faithgriffith
    View Post
    My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Colorado. I am 16 and looking to move out of a dangerous home and into a safer one. I make about 500-700 dollars and have a close friends who will let me move in. Im not sure how hard my parents will fight me to move out. I know that in order to get emancipated I will first have to move out, but Im not sure if I will be marked as a runaway. I have read many different places that if I am marked as a runaway I an take identification and my new address to the police station and if marked safe they are unlikely to make me go back to an unsafe environment. I will be on an insurance policy with my significant other until my emancipation is complete and I can attempt to get my own health insurance. I will still be in school as I work evenings. What are my chances of this working in my favor?
    You make 500-700 dollars a day? A week? A month? Is it enough to independently (ie, without your SO) survive? And who told you that your SO could add you to his/her insurance?

1. Sponsored Links