Hybrid View

Default Later Consequences of Trespassing

Dear all,

i did a trespassing today in Nevada. I wanted to Cross a Parking lot to take a picture of Something behind the fence. I thought that the „no trespassing“ since are for the fence and not for the Parking lot.

Just two minutes later a security guard came and told me that i did the criminal Act of trespassing. He explained the law to me and I apologized for na behaviour immidately. He Said that he won‘t call the Police and there will be nothing in my Record, but he has to take a picture of my ID for internal usage only. I showed him my Passport and he took the picture. He adviced me to leave the area and if I won‘t come back, nothing will happen. Of Course I left the area quickly.

Later I read in the Internet that this „trespassing“ is a serious Crime. Is ist possible that the guy called the Police later? Can they arrest me? E.G because of camera Recording they did on this area?

I‘m here as a foreign Tourist. Will I have and Problems by leaving or reenter the U.S?
    Shall I contact my ambassy?

Sorry for my bad english Skills!

Thanks for your help
    M.

Default Re: Later Consequences of Trespassing

Quote Quoting Alastasar
    View Post
    Dear all,

i did a trespassing today in Nevada. I wanted to Cross a Parking lot to take a picture of Something behind the fence. I thought that the „no trespassing“ since are for the fence and not for the Parking lot.

Just two minutes later a security guard came and told me that i did the criminal Act of trespassing. He explained the law to me and I apologized for na behaviour immidately. He Said that he won‘t call the Police and there will be nothing in my Record, but he has to take a picture of my ID for internal usage only. I showed him my Passport and he took the picture. He adviced me to leave the area and if I won‘t come back, nothing will happen. Of Course I left the area quickly.

Later I read in the Internet that this „trespassing“ is a serious Crime. Is ist possible that the guy called the Police later? Can they arrest me? E.G because of camera Recording they did on this area?

I‘m here as a foreign Tourist. Will I have and Problems by leaving or reenter the U.S?

Sorry for my bad english Skills!

Thanks for your help
    M.
    No, there is no need to call your embassy. If they told you they were not going to call the police, then they are not going to call the police. They realized that you made an honest mistake. There is no need to worry about it. Just don't do it again.

Thanks for your quick reply! But is there any chance that the Security guard calls the police and i get arrested? Is it possible under US law?

Regards!

Quote Quoting Alastasar
    View Post
    I read in the Internet that this „trespassing“ is a serious Crime.
    Not sure where you might have read this, but trespassing is one of the least serious crimes there is (unless you've trespassed onto the White House or some military installation).

Quote Quoting Alastasar
    View Post
    Is ist possible that the guy called the Police later?
    In the abstract, virtually anything is possible, but nothing you wrote suggests that it's even remotely likely.

Quote Quoting Alastasar
    View Post
    Can they arrest me?
    Yes. However, even if the police were called, trespassing is typically handled with a written citation (similar to a traffic ticket). An actual arrest for trespassing would require some special circumstances not indicated by your post.

Quote Quoting Alastasar
    View Post
    Will I have and Problems by leaving or reenter the U.S?
    HIGHLY unlikely and not at all necessary.

Thanks for your help!

I read it on some pages that it is a serious crime in Nevada. I read as weil, that two guys from Holland who passed the Signs at Area 51 had to pay 500$.

Not comparable with me of course because I crossed only a parking lot to get closer to the fence to fotograph better. I would never jump on a fence or something like this. I just didn‘t know that it is even forbidden to stand at the parking lot. Now i will never do it again on any place. I think the security guard, who was a nice guy at all and even said that he likes me T-shirt shocked me really.

What do you think do they do with the picuture of my passport? How long are they allowed to keep it?

I kindly excuse for my concerns, but the US are my favorite holiday country #1. I never had an issue with the law, as well not in the US and not at home. It would be a real tragedy for me to get any problems here.

Quote Quoting Alastasar
    View Post
    Thanks for your help!

I read it on some pages that it is a serious crime in Nevada. I read as weil, that two guys from Holland who passed the Signs at Area 51 had to pay 500$.

Not comparable with me of course because I crossed only a parking lot to get closer to the fence to fotograph better. I would never jump on a fence or something like this. I just didn‘t know that it is even forbidden to stand at the parking lot. Now i will never do it again on any place. I think the security guard, who was a nice guy at all and even said that he likes me T-shirt shocked me really.

What do you think do they do with the picuture of my passport? How long are they allowed to keep it?

I kindly excuse for my concerns, but the US are my favorite holiday country #1. I never had an issue with the law, as well not in the US and not at home. It would be a real tragedy for me to get any problems here.
    They will use the picture to make sure that you do not do it again. If the recognize you doing it a second time then they might call the police. You have no issues with the police in this country and will not have any issues over a simple trespass.

Quote Quoting Alastasar
    View Post
    I read as weil, that two guys from Holland who passed the Signs at Area 51 had to pay 500$.
    That would one of the "special circumstances" I mentioned in my prior response.

Quote Quoting Alastasar
    View Post
    What do you think do they do with the picuture of my passport?
    Probably stick it in a file on the off chance that you show up again.

Quote Quoting Alastasar
    View Post
    How long are they allowed to keep it?
    As long as they like.

Again, I think it HIGHLY unlikely that anything more will come of this.

I agree. If the property owner wanted to charge you with criminal trespass, they would have done it when they had you on the property. Forget it and move on.

1. Sponsored Links