Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Out of State Claim

Quote Quoting VFLRob
    View Post
    Yes. I have renters insurance.

I’ll refer it to them. But they haven’t served me or if they have, it’s to an old address. Do I need to help them?
    You don't do anything until or unless you are served.

Quote Quoting VFLRob
    View Post
    Do I have to respond to her claim?
    That depends. Do you care if a judgment is entered against you in a Tennessee court (keeping in mind that she can take her Tennessee judgment and seek to domesticate it in Georgia and then seek to garnish your wages and bank account)?

Quote Quoting VFLRob
    View Post
    Do I need to get an attorney?
    That wouldn't be practical for a $1k claim (unless you happen to know a lawyer willing to represent you for free).

Quote Quoting VFLRob
    View Post
    I'll spend more traveling back and forth than the whole affair is worth.
    Why do you think that? As you know, Tennessee and Georgia border each other, and you obviously had no problem traveling to Tennessee to "attend a fireworks party." It's not like there are going to be dozens of court appearances. You'll likely need to go to court only once for the trial.

By the way, you might want to do some reading about Tennessee dog bite law.

Also by the way, if you haven't been served with anything, how do you know you've actually been sued?

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    That depends. Do you care if a judgment is entered against you in a Tennessee court (keeping in mind that she can take her Tennessee judgment and seek to domesticate it in Georgia and then seek to garnish your wages and bank account)?

Also by the way, if you haven't been served with anything, how do you know you've actually been sued?
    Well, the short answer is I don't want to be sued.

But she told my friend, the one that invited me, that she was going to file a claim. I haven't been served so I'm not sure what to do. I guess just turn it over to insurance and let it run its course.

Quote Quoting VFLRob
    View Post

But she told my friend, the one that invited me, that she was going to file a claim. I haven't been served so I'm not sure what to do. I guess just turn it over to insurance and let it run its course.

Well, there is little you can do to not be sued. There is really nothing for you to do until you are served or otherwise legally notified of a claim against you. It may come in the form of a demand letter from the other party or a lawyer.

Quote Quoting VFLRob
    View Post

Unless you want to acquiesce to this person's demand for payment, there isn't anything you can do to keep yourself from being sued. However, telling someone, "I'm going to sue!" and actually suing are obviously very different things. If/when you get sued and served, tender your defense to your renter's insurance carrier (you should probably put the carrier on notice now that something may be coming). If the carrier doesn't pick it up, then you'll have to defend yourself.

P.S. This isn't legally relevant, but dogs and fireworks don't generally go well together, so I'm having a hard time understanding the idea of bringing a dog to a "fireworks party."

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    P.S. This isn't legally relevant, but dogs and fireworks don't generally go well together, so I'm having a hard time understanding the idea of bringing a dog to a "fireworks party."
    It was a park. And uneventful. We simply watched fireworks shot over the city from a distance. A nice evening and there were many people with pets.

Owners are to control their animals at all times. Perhaps the fireworks caused your dog stress that you were not aware of. Dogs and fireworks are not a good combination.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2