Default Legally Registered Car Towed from Apartment Complex

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Texas
    bec
    Our car was towed from an apartment complex where we hold a lease because the displayed registration was out of date. We had renewed the registration online but had not had the chance to actually put it on the car..... filed in small claims court for illegal towing and since the defendant didn't even show up the judge decided in our favor - now they are appealing the $254 judgement. Our contention was, and is, that our lease says the registration must be current and the vehicle operable (which it was) and does not stipulate that the registration must be displayed, only that it must be legal and current. Worried we may loose appeal since they've hired an attorney and am afraid we might get charged for their attorney fees if we lose on appeal..... are we wrong to feel they towed illegally and what can we expect in the way of fees if we lose.

Default Re: Legally Registered Car Towed from Apartment Complex

How would the defendant have any*idea that you were meeting the "registration must be current" if it was not displayed on your car?

That would be up to them - if they required sticker to be displayed shouldn't they state that in the lease agreement? If it was stated in the lease agreement that the car needs to display current registration etc, then I would understand it to be our fault but since the wording is as such it is misleading in that it reads just must be current, no mention of proof by displaying it.....

You didn't ask a question, so I'm not sure what sort of responses you're seeking.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    How would the defendant have any*idea that you were meeting the "registration must be current" if it was not displayed on your car?
    I agree, and no reasonable person would construe this requirement to allow for registration to be current without being properly displayed. If I had to put money on it, I'd bet on you losing. However, it's unlikely that you'll get tagged with the other side's attorneys' fees. If I were you, I'd think long and hard about seeing if the landlord will settle for a dismissal of the appeal and a stipulated agreement to vacate the judgment and dismiss the case.

1. Sponsored Links