Default Car Impounds

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Louisiana. My mother owns a car that my brother drives. She doesn't have a license or is interested in driving. My brother has brushed off the 4 traffic violation tickets and the car was recently impounded. She now has to go to court for her car to be released. He believes that if the car title was transferred to me that I would be able to get it out of impound and avoid paying the ticket's temporarily. I'm unsure if this loophole is legal and I would never agree to have the title transferred to me so he can continue to be irresponsible and have tickets in my name. Ive visited multiple state websites but they dont give a direct answer to this situation. Could the owner of a car transfer the title while the car is impounded for unpaid tickets and pending court appearances?

Default Re: Car Impounds

Quote Quoting JMSmith
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Louisiana. My mother owns a car that my brother drives. She doesn't have a license or is interested in driving. My brother has brushed off the 4 traffic violation tickets and the car was recently impounded. She now has to go to court for her car to be released. He believes that if the car title was transferred to me that I would be able to get it out of impound and avoid paying the ticket's temporarily. I'm unsure if this loophole is legal and I would never agree to have the title transferred to me so he can continue to be irresponsible and have tickets in my name. Ive visited multiple state websites but they dont give a direct answer to this situation. Could the owner of a car transfer the title while the car is impounded for unpaid tickets and pending court appearances?
    Even if it could be transferred it wouldn't help your brother. Do not enable him.

Default Re: Car Impounds

Sure it can help you get the vehicle out of the impound. That is after all the fees are paid to the towing company and if the police department were to release it to you.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

1. Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources