Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Company Car and Privacy

Quote Quoting WhoDonnit
    View Post
    Thanks for the information. I am an employee, one of about 750 sales representatives. The company has no offices here in California. My office is in my home and does qualify as a home office for my taxes. I read that any sales call milage is deductible even to/from my home office.
    As a result of the Trump tax tax most employees may no longer deduct unreimbursed employee business expenses (including vehicle expenses) for the tax years 2018 through 2025. Only those employees in a few specified occupations may do that now, and yours isn't one of them. Even before that change there would be no deduction for you since the employer provides the car for you and pays all the car expenses.

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    Do you have a point to this?
    Yes. The point is that the 20% personal use is arbitrary and not based on actually mileage or use of the car. The company wants the employees to make up car usage mileage to back into the 20%. So pick a number. And what happens if the employee uses the car more than 20% for personal use? Do they take more than the $120?

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    As a result of the Trump tax tax most employees may no longer deduct unreimbursed employee business expenses (including vehicle expenses) for the tax years 2018 through 2025. Only those employees in a few specified occupations may do that now, and yours isn't one of them. Even before that change there would be no deduction for you since the employer provides the car for you and pays all the car expenses.
    So what category does the $120 the company deducts from pay fall into? Is it taxable or not?

My reading of the IRS publication on fleets says that that have to do a straight line depreciation. So what is the reason for the personal deduction?

The OP isn't paying for just the depreciation of the car. According to the OP, "They provide a company car, fuel card and all maintenance."

I'm not suggesting that the employees are paying for depreciation. A company with a fleet of vehicles cannot use mileage to write off the cost of the fleet of more than 5 vehicles. So what does it matter what the personal mileage use of the car is? Why does the company need to know how many miles the employee uses the car for personal use when they take a set $120 from the employee's pay each month and they want the employee to make up numbers to show that the use is 20%.

It's like the company is giving the employee a car to use but they charge a $120 monthly fee for the rental.

I think the company leases these cars and is trying to offset the cost by charging some arbitrary fee to the employee to offset the cost and it has nothing to do with mileage.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post

It's like the company is giving the employee a car to use but they charge a $120 monthly fee for the rental.

I think the company leases these cars and is trying to offset the cost by charging some arbitrary fee to the employee to offset the cost and it has nothing to do with mileage.
    You may well be right but it really doesn't matter. It is what the company offers and the tax issues aren't the question here.

I really appreciate the discussion and I also believe that the $120 is arbitrary. I have been dealing with that up until now as it isn't a lot of money but am aggravated by having to fabricate numbers that fit both my sales call log and the odometer to make the 20%. What triggered all of this is that they want to add tracking software (app) to our cell phones which are not theirs but our personal phones. There is no way to tie the tracking to actual travel logs. All of the personal travel in my personal cars will also be logged. i don't think they know what they are doing.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    So what category does the $120 the company deducts from pay fall into? Is it taxable or not?
    Based on what I've read there, the employee is paid $X and then $120 is deducted for the supposed personal use of the car. That being the case, the employee is taxed on the $X he is paid; the $120 deduction does not reduce his gross income.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    My reading of the IRS publication on fleets says that that have to do a straight line depreciation. So what is the reason for the personal deduction?
    No idea. The $120 has nothing to do with what tax deductions the employer is taking. So we don't need to keep talking about what the employer deducts. That's not relevant to the $120 deduction.

Quote Quoting DENIMKATY
    View Post
    So, they want me to fabricate data for these audacity temp mail origin milage reports. Now they want us to install a tracking app on our personal cell phones. They do allow me to add my cell phone bill into my monthly expense reports up to $100.00. I am not comfortable with them tracking me even during off hours, 24/7. I am about to give then the middle finger, load the app on the phone and toss the phone on a train. I wish I could see their tax filings and see how they record the $120.00 per month from hundreds of sales reps that they deduct.
    I am really tired of you.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I am really tired of you.
    You are talking to a toaster.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    You are talking to a toaster.
    Don't insult toasters like that.

I guess at this point Aaron just doesn't care if this board dies. That's a shame because it used to be fairly busy.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast