Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Can I Give My Child More Than Three Names

Quote Quoting Magical_Breadicorn
    View Post
    I wouldn't make it a thing that was public, more like a fun little Easter egg of sorts on the birth certificate. I could still classify him/her as (example) John Michael Doe for school and other things, right? I wouldn't want to make it a pain, I just liked the idea of giving a child a long name that means something cool.
    Please don't do that to your child. He/she will be stuck with it long after you are dead.

There's an old song that illustrates why you shouldn't.

John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt
    His name is my name too
    Whenever I go out
    The people always shout,
    "There goes John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt!"
    Nanananananana

You can give your child as many names as you want. My father and brother both have two middle names.

However, don't get too "cool" about it. I have a teammate at work who has a very unique first name. When I google the name only he and his father come up. He has to repeat and/or spell his name for every phone call he takes. And he HATES it. He swears that he won't give it to his son even as a middle name - the name should die with him. It's a royal pain having a unique name.

For that matter, I have a common first name with a less common spelling. And I never, ever get my name spelled right.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    For that matter, I have a common first name with a less common spelling. And I never, ever get my name spelled right.
    My first name is so common that no one messes that up. My last name is fairly common but with an uncommon spelling. I have to spell it every time I give it to someone new. I don't begrudge having to do it, I like my name, but it does get a bit tiresome sometimes. Same thing with my middle name, but fortunately I don't need to use that very often.

Parents need to think about what name will work for the kid as he/she grows. Don't pick a name that you fancy without regard to what it will be like to have to actually live with that name. If the kid later on wants some strange or unusual name, he or she can always change it later. Until then, pick a name that will not burden the kid with problems growing up.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Please don't do that to your child. He/she will be stuck with it long after you are dead.

There's an old song that illustrates why you shouldn't.

John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt
    His name is my name too
    Whenever I go out
    The people always shout,
    "There goes John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt!"
    Nanananananana
    And of course there is the old favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gbtm-93oqE

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Seriously? My sister-in-law spells it the same way you do. My sister had the same name, but it was spelled the other common way. When we gave my kid the name as one of two middle names, we had a long debate about which spelling to use, with my wife arguing that your way is the "traditional" and more common way.

I'm talking about the nickname I use rather than the full name; the "ie" rather than "y". With regards to the full name, I see the K more often than the C but that might be regional.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I'm talking about the nickname I use rather than the full name; the "ie" rather than "y". With regards to the full name, I see the K more often than the C but that might be regional.
    Gotcha. My wife grew up in upstate NY. She won the debate, by the way, simply because I gave in. :-)

I was born in mid-western Canada. I changed the spelling of the nickname on my own when I was eighteen, partially because there were already six or seven of us with a Y per square inch, and partly to honor my British-born grandfather who always spelled my name with the ie. That's apparently more common on the other side of the pond.

You want to do this because you think it would be cool ? Please put your child's feeling before yours. Your child could have a legal name change done and drop the extra names when he turns 18. What about his childhood and teenage years ? Life is difficult enough for children and teenagers.

Stupid to give a person more names than they are going to use. For instance, Jonathan Robert Jones, will probably be called John Doe his entire life - so name him JOHN DOE! Jeez, it's simple people, don't make it hard.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast