Default Discovery Limit in Written Interrogatory

My question involves court procedures for the state of: Washington

Third post of this question. Previous two post didn't show up. Don't know why. Message through CONTACT link has was not answered.

Hopefully, third time is the charm.

I am seeking information on the limit for the number of questions allowed in a single written interrogatory in Discovery in Snohomish Superior Court, Snohomish County, Washington.

I've searched the Civil Rules but cannot locate the answer.

Thanks for any responses.

Default Re: Discovery Limit in Written Interrogatory

Quote Quoting CapedCrusader
    View Post

I am seeking information on the limit for the number of questions allowed in a single written interrogatory in Discovery in Snohomish Superior Court, Snohomish County, Washington.
    There is no limit. If you object to any of the questions you respond with the answers to the questions you don't object to and make your objections known in your response. If the other party doesn't agree with your objections he can file a motion to compel, you can object to the motion, have a hearing and the judge will rule on the scope of the discovery.

The general rule is that interrogatories may have subparts as long as they concern the same subject matter. For example, an interrogatory could legitimately request the following:

"For each phone call between ABC, Inc. and XYZ, Inc., identify/provide the following:
    a. The date of the call;
    b. The length of the call;
    c. The persons on the call; and
    d. A summary of what was discussed on the call."

On the other hand, if a litigant tries to circumvent the limit on the number of interrogatories (and yes, there most certainly is a limit) by combining multiple interrogatories into one, he/she/it will likely get a bunch of objections in response.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    On the other hand, if a litigant tries to circumvent the limit on the number of interrogatories (and yes, there most certainly is a limit) by combining multiple interrogatories into one, he/she/it will likely get a bunch of objections in response.
    (Bolding added.) In many states what I bolded would be true. It appears not to be true in Washington state. Rule 33 of the state rules of civil procedure is the rule for interrogatories, and you'll find no mention in it of a limit on the number of questions that may be asked anywhere in that rule.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    (Bolding added.) In many states what I bolded would be true. It appears not to be true in Washington state. Rule 33 of the state rules of civil procedure is the rule for interrogatories, and you'll find no mention in it of a limit on the number of questions that may be asked anywhere in that rule.
    At least the two largest Superior Courts in Washington impose limits by local rule. I wouldn't be surprised if others do as well.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    At least the two largest Superior Courts in Washington impose limits by local rule. I wouldn't be surprised if others do as well.
    I wouldn't be surprised either, but the OP would obviously have to check the local court rules to see if there is any limit in the court where this is litigated. It may be that the reason he's having trouble finding the info he wants is that he's not checking the local rules.

Thanks for all responses.

Apologies for my inaccurate description of where I've been looking. I meant to say that I have searched the Local Court Rules for Snohomish, and could not locate a numeric limit.

I thought I had seen a limit on the number of interrogatories of approximately 20 in a single Discovery request, however after looking in depth, I have not located it.

1. Sponsored Links