Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Boss is Heavily Annoyed I Have a Learning Disability and Insults Me Daily

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Michigan
    I was offered my current job after being offered 4 jobs total out of 6. I didnt see a thing on the job description that would hinder my skills and performance on the job. I have a spatial math disability where reading maps and driving is difficult. I often use pictures and lots of highlighters to get around my disability. My duties require sending out invoices, handling tenants, service, showing homes, and handling billing all of which I have done before and was in job description. I did not know I needed to read maps extensively to handle payroll and know employees were clocked in at the right job. Since I started this, I let her know I have a spatial disability and she said "that would of been nice to know before I hired you". Well, it didnt say you must be able to read maps and there was nothing on the description where I felt would hurt my performance on the job. There are several added things I have done that I also didnt know I was going to have to do such as cleaning out properties and also going to court against any evicitions. I hate being the bad guy, so I'm in the wrong line of field. My problem is, daily, she bats at me, throws slide comments, insults my taste in food, hates my hair being down and wants it up cuz she finds hair strands and constantly throws temper tantrums about how I'm slow at maps and huffs and puffs all day long. Being more specific, several times she says I frustrate her with my slowness, throws her hands down on my desk when I make an error, accuses me of not listening, yells at me and says these things, said she didnt hire the indian woman w/ more experience cuz she smelled, and hated indian food, and now complains about my middle eastern food and hair. Today, she complained I had stunk up the eating area with my spicy middle eastern food and asked if I could eat different things. I finally stood up for myself and said Ill bring in candles to diminish the smell and that I didnt like the smell of Mcdonalds french fries and its a matter of taste. She didnt like that cuz she eats Mcd's all the time and I dont complain about it. I am looking for a healthier place to work, but its gotten worse since I told her of my spatial disability. I dont know my rights and or know if I even have any.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Re: Boss is Heavily Annoyed I Have a Learning Disability and Insults Me Daily

Quote Quoting ZeeZee
    View Post
    My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Michigan
    I was offered my current job after being offered 4 jobs total out of 6. I didnt see a thing on the job description that would hinder my skills and performance on the job. I have a spatial math disability where reading maps and driving is difficult. I often use pictures and lots of highlighters to get around my disability. My duties require sending out invoices, handling tenants, service, showing homes, and handling billing all of which I have done before and was in job description. I did not know I needed to read maps extensively to handle payroll and know employees were clocked in at the right job. Since I started this, I let her know I have a spatial disability and she said "that would of been nice to know before I hired you". Well, it didnt say you must be able to read maps and there was nothing on the description where I felt would hurt my performance on the job. There are several added things I have done that I also didnt know I was going to have to do such as cleaning out properties and also going to court against any evicitions. I hate being the bad guy, so I'm in the wrong line of field. My problem is, daily, she bats at me, throws slide comments, insults my taste in food, hates my hair being down and wants it up cuz she finds hair strands and constantly throws temper tantrums about how I'm slow at maps and huffs and puffs all day long. Being more specific, several times she says I frustrate her with my slowness, throws her hands down on my desk when I make an error, accuses me of not listening, yells at me and says these things, said she didnt hire the indian woman w/ more experience cuz she smelled, and hated indian food, and now complains about my middle eastern food and hair. Today, she complained I had stunk up the eating area with my spicy middle eastern food and asked if I could eat different things. I finally stood up for myself and said Ill bring in candles to diminish the smell and that I didnt like the smell of Mcdonalds french fries and its a matter of taste. She didnt like that cuz she eats Mcd's all the time and I dont complain about it. I am looking for a healthier place to work, but its gotten worse since I told her of my spatial disability. I dont know my rights and or know if I even have any.
    IT sounds like you just have a crappy boss. It sounds like a hostile work environment and you could complain to HR (if there is HR) but I don't know that it would help given the personality your are describing. You may be able to make other complaints to the Sate labor Dept. but that won't really improve your situation either. Sometimes you just need to leave and find a job where you're not constantly harassed.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Default Re: Boss is Heavily Annoyed I Have a Learning Disability and Insults Me Daily

I agree. She is HR so yeah Im not gonna get far here. Can she even ask me to put my hair up and stop bringing in my food? This isnt a food industry or working with chemicals and materials. Just curious.

Quote Quoting ZeeZee
    View Post
    I agree. She is HR so yeah Im not gonna get far here. Can she even ask me to put my hair up and stop bringing in my food? This isnt a food industry or working with chemicals and materials. Just curious.
    Of course, she can require your hair be up and no food in the workplace.

Does she have a boss? If so that is who you want to talk to.

Actually, the term "hostile work environment" has a very specific meaning in employment law and there's nothing in the OP to indicate that this is an HWE. It takes more than having a crappy boss.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Actually, the term "hostile work environment" has a very specific meaning in employment law and there's nothing in the OP to indicate that this is an HWE. It takes more than having a crappy boss.
    I meant hostile in general, not in the legal sense. I shouldn't have used that term.
    "They go up!"

I didnt list every little detail. Throwing things isnt hostile? Throwing her fists on my desk isnt hostile? Calling me incompetent?. Its verbal abuse in my humble opinion. Getting upset I have a learning disability isnt that discrimination? And you guys are the lawyers. So sorry if i misused a word. And why cant i complain about her stinky french fries if she can bitch about my food?

Quote Quoting ZeeZee
    View Post
    I didnt list every little detail. Throwing things isnt hostile? Throwing her fists on my desk isnt hostile? Calling me incompetent?. Its verbal abuse in my humble opinion. Getting upset I have a learning disability isnt that discrimination? And you guys are the lawyers. So sorry if i misused a word. And why cant i complain about her stinky french fries if she can bitch about my food?
    Sure it is hostile. But as CBG said Hostile Workplace Environment has a specific legal meaning and the only action you have mentioned that might meet that definition is the stuff dealing with a disability and in that case, you said your boss got "upset" not that it continued or there was any negative action taken against you.

You are free to complain about anything you want, you just can't take successful legal action.

You never answered my question "Does your boss have a boss?"

As for us being lawyers, we're not. Between CBG and myself we have several decades of HR experience.

(Sorry Mark47n, I don't know your experience even though you gave good advice.)

You may also want to read the "Notice" at the bottom of the page. Here's the important part.

The legal help offered in this forum comes from volunteers who may not have any formal legal training or knowledge, and all information should be confirmed with a qualified legal professional. All information is made available on an "as is" basis. You should accept legal advice only from a licensed legal professional with whom you have an attorney-client relationship.

(Sorry Mark47n, I don't know your experience even though you gave good advice.)
    I have exactly 0 experience as an HR professional. I do have experience ans a supervisor and as a manager however.

I am not an attorney...but I have hired attorneys and participated in a few legal actions. does that count?

OP, no one said that your work place wasn't hostile, just not necessarily in a manner to meet the legal definition. You job sounds miserable and soul sucking and I wouldn't tolerate being spoken to in that way by any employer.
    "They go up!"

Sorry for the delay on the weekends I don't like to think about this at all LOL. She does have a boss it's the owner, but in all honesty she's more valuable than I am there because she has been running that ship for 6 years. So I honestly don't think he's going to think anything of it and do anything about it.

Thank you for clarifying that I really appreciate everybody's comments honestly. I'm just going to keep looking for another job. This is a hell hole for me

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast