Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Lease with Boyfriend but His Divorce Has a Morality Clause

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post

First, you did not tell us your state

OP referred to South Carolina in post 7 but, without knowing the exact wording of the clause in the decree, we can't say much.

I still think that the OP should move into the place where she is paying rent and is on the lease, and let the hopefully ex-boyfriend/fiancÚ deal with his own custody problems.

Quote Quoting irishqirl
    View Post
    Thanks for the reply. A little history, I didn't disclose my income to him outside of my salary, I didn't go into my investment income or other inherited income as it shouldn't apply to the next marriage so he wasn't really aware of the 5 times income. I only visited when his kids were with their mother previously and this was supposed to be the point we were all together as one before getting married, I didn't even meet the kids until about 5 months ago. I do have a child but he is now 18 its irrelevant to my divorce. The BF was originally really pushing for me to buy another house but I stated I wouldn't do that until marriage so the lease was a compromise. We also couldn't agree on the amount of house to purchase, I wanted cheaper, he wanted something around 800k because his kids needed something nice after going through a divorce (according to him). He doesn't want to feel rushed into marriage however which should be a red flag I guess. There are many other red flags that scream narcissist/BPD. I have not seen a copy of the divorce. I tried to look up/download/purchase a copy of the divorce but the state of SC seems to only release these to the people listed in the divorce, the lawyers and spouses of the people listed in the divorce according to their website. Ive been loaded up with a guilt trip about how he could lose his kids if I show up and he cant afford the ex taking him back to court.

I think I'm going to push the issue and see where it falls. Im sure he will play the guilt and victim card but Im already paying for this place (he also pays part of the rent), writing all this down and rereading it, the whole thing screams manipulation.
    Are you kidding me? The kids need an $800,00 home? That is such a load of bull. He is playing you like a fiddle. Move in now, let his ex-wife KNOW you've moved in, and let him deal with the consequences. And break up with him. He's a user and a loser. He is playing you for a fool.

What state? I'm skeptical that the "morality clause" can actually be enforced.

Quote Quoting irishqirl
    View Post
    Im not sure if he was aware of this beforehand or if he just realized it later.
    He obviously knew what his decree said. He might have forgotten it, but he obviously knew.

Quote Quoting irishqirl
    View Post
    I look at this as a problem he has with his ex and its not grounds to keep me from moving in but he seems to think his divorce overrides my tenant rights.
    He's wrong and you're right.

Quote Quoting irishqirl
    View Post
    My real question is should I. . . .
    Can't imagine why you care what anonymous strangers on the internet think about this. If you have a legal question, we can offer insight. That said, if I were you, I'd get as far away from this guy as possible before you inexorably intertwine yourself (and your finances) with him.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    What state? I'm skeptical that the "morality clause" can actually be enforced.

He obviously knew what his decree said. He might have forgotten it, but he obviously knew.

He's wrong and you're right.

Can't imagine why you care what anonymous strangers on the internet think about this. If you have a legal question, we can offer insight. That said, if I were you, I'd get as far away from this guy as possible before you inexorably intertwine yourself (and your finances) with him.

This is in South Carolina, Charleston County. Im not sure if Judges here look at this a formality or really enforce the issue. It seems in other states its not really enforced unless the kids are actually harmed by the relationship and it can be proven.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2