Default Do I Have to Pay Her Lease After Moving Out

Hi,
    Iím seeking legal consultation on how to start preparing myself in this case.
    My former girlfriend and I are still living in the same apartment. We decided the relationship was not going to work and that we needed to go separate ways.
    We ended the relationship one day before she got to know she was pregnant. We decided to continue and try to resolve the differences, but it dint work and again mutually decided to end it.
    Here is where becomes problematic:
    1-Im the only one on the apartment lease. I got the lease 3 months ago. She came back 3 weeks ago.
    2. She expect me to pay her an apartment and all her expenses.
    3. Her bipolarity and BPD disorders are becoming more intense with time. I know thereís hormonal factor here due the pregnancy, but she was showing signs before as well. 90% of the time she is hostile and sometimes irrational. I donít have sufficient energy and patience to deal with the changes so lately I end up arguing as well. It is affecting my nerves as well. It also started to affect my performance at work.
    4. She is aggressive. More verbally than physically. But in occasions she became physically aggressive. She has mentioned she thinks she can do something bad to me if very upset. She has also mentioned she has had suicidal thoughts in which there was a case I tool her to ER and then she denied the claim.
    5. She is Cuban with US residency and still warried (10 years) with her sponsor. She claimed has been separated for almost two 2 years. I met her 9 months ago.
    These are some of the details.
    I will definitely be responsible for the baby. But it is delicate situation and I know Social Services will get involve at some point in the future.

I will really appreciate any help in how to deal with the situation.
    Thanks

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Wisconsin

Default Re: Do I Have to Pay Her Lease After Moving Out

If I understand your question, it is do you have to pay your girlfriend's lease on her new apartment after she moves out? Absent very unusual circumstances which you did not mention, no.

Quote Quoting doucar
    View Post
    If I understand your question, it is do you have to pay your girlfriend's lease on her new apartment after she moves out? Absent very unusual circumstances which you did not mention, no.

It isn't the girlfriend's apartment. It is the OP's apartment. He is the only one on the lease. SO while you are right in that he doesn't have to pay for it if he doesn't there will likely be consequences.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    It isn't the girlfriend's apartment. It is the OP's apartment. He is the only one on the lease. SO while you are right in that he doesn't have to pay for it if he doesn't there will likely be consequences.
    I think she;s saying that the OP has to pay for an apartment for her and her expenses.

No, OP, you don't have to pay for her apartment or her expenses. You only have to pay for your apartment and your expenses.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

There's a whole bunch of irrelevant information in your post, and it's not clear who's living where. If your question is whether you have a legal obligation to pay anything to or on behalf of your ex-girlfriend (including her living expenses), the answer is no. However, you may be obligated pursuant to your lease to pay on the lease until such time as the lease expires and the tenancy has been properly terminated.

Child support will be a completely different matter. If she goes on public assistance while pregnant or after,the baby is born. The state can make you reimburse them. She can also take you to court for child support after the birth.

And then there is the whole issue that she is still legally married and therefore the state will assume that her husband is the father until that gets rectified via a DNA test in a paternity case. This is a serious mess of a situation.

1. Sponsored Links