Default Could School Sanction Me on Incident Happened in Last School Year

My question involves education law in the State of: IL
    I searched internet but couldn't find a good answer to this question.
    My high school is little bit special, it is under IL's higher education (IBHE), not in any school districts.
    Last school year, I joined a project which I went to another university to conduct some research once a week.
    I misused that university's computer and did some personal things (which I did some cryptocurrency mining)
    The university found out in March, they disabled my account, and stopped my project.
    For some reason, they didn't report this incident back to my high school in March (last school year), instead, they reported it at the end of August (in the new school year), almost 6 months later.
    I thought the university already dealt with the issue (disabled my account, stopped my project) last school year, but now after they send the incident report to my high school, my school sanction me again with 5-day OSS and other things.
    Is there any case? Should the university report the incident promptly? Could my high school sanction me for something happened last school year?

Thanks!

Default Re: Could School Sanction Me on Incident Happened in Last School Year

You have no case. The Illinois School Code is fairly silent on discipline matters other than barring corporal punishment. The only federal relief was if the discipline would be affected by your special ed status. Otherwise, any relief you might get is through whatever school due process your school puts in place, you can try a guidance counselor. However, there's no obligation for the university to report your transgressions in any timely fashion, nor is there at least in the law, any prohibition for sanctioning events from last term.

I have no idea what your first question means. The answers to the other two questions are yes and yes.

Quote Quoting arthursdad
    View Post
    Is there any case?
    What sort of case? You mean like sue the high school? ROFLMAO No.

Quote Quoting arthursdad
    View Post
    Should the university report the incident promptly?
    They probably should but there is no law that says they must. And it wouldn't surprise me that they spent at least some time investigating it.

Quote Quoting arthursdad
    View Post
    Could my high school sanction me for something happened last school year?
    Not only could they, but they also did. You are lucky they didn't do worse than 5 days of OSS.

Thank you all for answering my questions. They reported it late not because of the investigation, they questioned me in March when they found out and disabled my account, and I've told them I misused the computer for cryptocurrency mining, I didn't use all for that, just like 20% of time, which added together less than a week on one computer.
    If they reported it last school year, things could have done better on me, and I would have turned the page for long. But since they didn't do that, now the sanctions on me this year get me lot more troubles...

The possibility exists that all the reports on all participating students are made at one time, at the end of the school year, and not individual reports as things occur.

Quote Quoting arthursdad
    View Post
    Thank you all for answering my questions. They reported it late not because of the investigation, they questioned me in March when they found out and disabled my account, and I've told them I misused the computer for cryptocurrency mining, I didn't use all for that, just like 20% of time, which added together less than a week on one computer.
    If they reported it last school year, things could have done better on me, and I would have turned the page for long. But since they didn't do that, now the sanctions on me this year get me lot more troubles...
    It isn't either school's responsibility to schedule your punishments to meet your schedule.

1. Sponsored Links