Default Statute of Limitations

My question involves criminal law for the state of: ohio

What are the statutes of limitations for Child S abuse that happened in 2002. The person she said did it was a late teen and she was around 8. I believe the current Ohio SOL for this crime are for 2006 and on. SO since this was before that date is it different?

Please help.

Default Re: Statute of Limitations

Criminal Cases for Sexual Abuse

In a criminal case, you must contact law enforcement about the sexual abuse. After an investigation, a prosecutor may file criminal charges against your alleged abuser. If the suspect is found guilty of sexual abuse, he or she may face incarceration and sex offender registration.

Under Ohio law, a prosecutor must file criminal charges within:

Adult sexual assault: 20 years from the event,
    Child sexual assault: 20 years from the victim’s eighteenth birthday.

In 2015, a new law extended the statute of limitations in cases involving DNA evidence. Prosecutors now may file charges against a suspect within five years of DNA identification—even if the 20-year SOL had otherwise expired.
    Above is from:

https://www.**********.com/law-libra...ual-abuse.html

If she wants to pursue criminal prosecution she needs to report it to the authorities right now. They'll decide whether there is enough for prosecution.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Above is from:

https://www.**********.com/law-libra...ual-abuse.html

If she wants to pursue criminal prosecution she needs to report it to the authorities right now. They'll decide whether there is enough for prosecution.
    Jack, that link is bad.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Jack, that link is bad.
    That's OK. I quoted the pertinent information.

Apparently, this site thinks the name of a competing site is a profane word.

This article is also useful:
    https://www.dispatch.com/news/201905...on-experts-say

I am sorry but it doesn't say this is for 2002. SOLs change don't they?

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Apparently, this site thinks the name of a competing site is a profane word.
    I don't recall seeing link filtering here before. They can be bothered to set that up but not deal with spammers/bots when they turn up.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    I don't recall seeing link filtering here before. They can be bothered to set that up but not deal with spammers/bots when they turn up.
    It's not "link" filtering perse. vB allows you to list dirty words that get replaced with ****. Apparently that website is in that list.

When SOLs change do they count for crimes committed before the law changed? If not it would be devastation to try and press charges just to hear no.

I found this for her:

Effective Aug. 3, 2006, the General Assembly enacted R.C. 2305.111(C), legislation that increased the state’s former statute of limitations for a child sexual abuse victim to file a civil suit against his or her alleged abuser from one year after the victim reached the age of majority to 12 years after reaching the age of majority – in effect, extending the filing deadline to the victim’s 30th birthday.

But, I cannot find what the SOLs are before the date.

It's partially up to the states to set the rules for how SOLs apply when they change. However, the one thing the US Supreme Court says you can't pass a law after the SOL has expired to revive a time-barred case for prosecution. It was a pretty narrow decision (5-4). The dissenting opinion argue it's not an ex post facto because revising the limitations time isn't passing a law making something illegal after the fact (the ex post facto law barred by the Constitution). The majority held it was.

1. Sponsored Links