Default New York Criminal Proceedure How Do I Get Discovery: Violation Ticket

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New York. Received tickets for dog running at large. How do I obtain discovery. DA says I'm not entitled to discovery.

Default Re: New York Criminal Proceedure How Do I Get Discovery: Violation Ticket

Plead not guilty. Insist on a trial. Send a written request to the DA for his evidence. If you don't get it file a Motion to Compel Discovery.

Frankly, I have no clue as to whether any of that will do you any good.

Seems to me that you won't get anything if you are just going fishing without pleading not guilty.

Just how serious are these tickets? And why "tickets" (plural)? Did you get cited more than once for the same offence?

Default Re: New York Criminal Proceedure How Do I Get Discovery: Violation Ticket

You should see a NY criminal defense attorney to ask about that. NY has significantly revised its discovery rules to be much more favorable to defendants, but those changes do not take effect until next January. So at the moment NY has some of the most restrictive discovery rules in the country. In many instances under the current law the prosecution only has to provide discovery at the start of the trial. And I'm not sure what, if any, discovery you can get for a municipal code violation matter.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Did you get cited more than once for the same offence?
    When did you become British? Offense is the American spelling.

1. Sponsored Links