Hybrid View

Exclamation Using Someone Else's Mailing Address

My question involves restraining orders in the State of: CA

I'm not sure if this is the right board so if not I apologize ahead of time. Today my friend's mother got mail addressed to my ex husband's uncle at her house which is my last known address. I fled a year ago due to domestic violence and have a restraining order here against my ex husband. I searched online to see if there was someone else here by the same name as a coincidence. I found that my husband, and his whole extended family (mother father, aunts, uncles) had changed their address to my last known address but are still living in NY. Is this legal? Is this a violation in any way of the restraining order? Am I able to file a restraining order against the family? My boyfriends mother is understandably concerned that there are people using her address. I'm just wondering if anything should be or could be done about it.

Default Re: Using Someone Else's Mailing Address

I can't read your restraining order from here but I'm guessing that nobody is violating the "letter" of the order and it's certainly not illegal to use somebody else's address.

Your boyfriend's mother, unfortunately, is the one that has to deal with somebody using her address. The best advice I can give her is to pile up the mail, cross out the address, write "Doesn't live here" with a marking pen and dump the lot back at the post office.

When your ex-husband's family starts missing important mail and defaulting on unpaid bills, it won't be fun anymore and they will stop doing it.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    I can't read your restraining order from here but I'm guessing that nobody is violating the "letter" of the order and it's certainly not illegal to use somebody else's address.

Your boyfriend's mother, unfortunately, is the one that has to deal with somebody using her address. The best advice I can give her is to pile up the mail, cross out the address, write "Doesn't live here" with a marking pen and dump the lot back at the post office.

When your ex-husband's family starts missing important mail and defaulting on unpaid bills, it won't be fun anymore and they will stop doing it.
    I would take that one small step further. Rather than writing, "doesn't live here" I would write "never lived here".

and she should make a post office complaint direct to the local postmaster..... they can stop it too....

"Not known at this address"

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    "Not known at this address"
    That is good too.

1. Sponsored Links