Default Beaten and Tased by Police but Not Arrested

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Colorado

The incident occurred in Commerce City, CO. I was assaulted by a police officer, and taken to the hospital for taser and baton injuries. I have some minor damage to the ligament in my thumb, extensive bruising and aggravated tendinitis. I was never arrested, no one was, as I didn't do anything illegal, just insulted him. They are refusing to release the incident report to me, or bodycam footage.

No lawyer will take my case because my injuries aren't bad enough and I don't already have the footage (I've called 20 or so). What do I do? Why won't a lawyer take my case if he could get the footage? I only called personal injury and civil rights lawyers.

The fact I wasn't arrested shows I am innocent, even according to the police, so the assault would be by definition excessive force. Is this correct?

I feel like I have to fight this myself. How do I legally petition for the footage? I also have many witnesses who will testify to police brutality. I will give them all complaint forms (the police initially lied to me and told me the forms don't exist when I went into the station, I have them on footage lying).

Thank you for your time.

Default Re: Beaten and Tased by Police but Not Arrested

Generally speaking, cops don't usually taze someone and then strike the with batons and then kick them loose, simply because that person insulted them. There is usually a lot more detail to the story. No doubt we could give you a much more meaningful response if you provided a lot more details - what led up to this, who said what, what you were asked/told to do, what you said, did/didn't do in response, etc.

Additionally, what were your financial losses in this matter? (that is important)

Additionally, all because you were not arrested at the hospital is NOT proof that you are "innocent." It is common for agencies to release suspects at a hospital if they might otherwise have to incur costs for treatment or guarding the suspect. Additionally, they can be released because they were detained for a mental health evaluation and not a crime.

If a lawyer won't take your case, THAT is a great indicator that there's not a good case here. But, keep shopping it around, if there is any truth to your claims at all someone will bite.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

I don't believe we've been given more than about a quarter of the story here any more than I believed it on the other boards where I've seen it.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I don't believe we've been given more than about a quarter of the story here any more than I believed it on the other boards where I've seen it.
    We could beat it out of him

Talking Re: Beaten and Tased by Police but Not Arrested

Quote Quoting maltbymark
    View Post
    we could beat it out of him:d
    :d

Quote Quoting L-1
    View Post
    Generally speaking, cops don't usually taze someone and then strike the with batons and then kick them loose, simply because that person insulted them. There is usually a lot more detail to the story. No doubt we could give you a much more meaningful response if you provided a lot more details - what led up to this, who said what, what you were asked/told to do, what you said, did/didn't do in response, etc.

Additionally, what were your financial losses in this matter? (that is important)
    New info has come out. It was a security guard contracted by the city who gave him a police vest. The detective confirmed there is bodycam footage, and lawyers are not interested in the case. Thank you! But I no longer need advice.

I understand your skepticism. But thankfully new info has come out and lawyers are now interested (see other reply). Thank you! Although I must say, I've never been on a forum where people don't answer your ques

haha well isn't that rude! lawyers are now taking my case due to new evidence

Quote Quoting bluetiger82
    View Post
    New info has come out. It was a security guard contracted by the city who gave him a police vest. The detective confirmed there is bodycam footage, and lawyers are not interested in the case. Thank you! But I no longer need advice.

I understand your skepticism. But thankfully new info has come out and lawyers are now interested (see other reply). Thank you! Although I must say, I've never been on a forum where people don't answer your ques

haha well isn't that rude! lawyers are now taking my case due to new evidence
    Aaah, so it wasn't the police after all. Kind of thought so.

As far as not answering questions - your post was sparse on facts and what few that were present assumed things were not in evidence. That's why I asked for more information. There were many different ways to respond to your questions, several of which conflicted with each other. In order to give you a correct response, specific details were needed (which you apparently declined to provide). We are not mind readers. If you refuse to cooperate, it's had for us to play the game with you.

Best of luck.

/

1. Sponsored Links