Default Personal Property Dispute

My question involves personal property located in the State of: California
    so my story is we help our son in law store property from his parents business at a our property for the purpose of clearing out a shop after it was sold. him and his mother had a disagreement on how the shop property was to be sold. two years later after she threatened to sue him he sent her a notice to pic up property after a few months she came a picked up cars but left the to other shop property. she hasn't come back to get the property need it off our property because it is a I sore and health hazard. she threaten to sue again but she is the one who isn't picking up her property. she lives in Arizona also. first can she sue and second can we throw the property away or salvage it. we were told that she gave up her rights when she gave the keys to her son.

Default Re: Personal Property Dispute

Quote Quoting lisajean64
    View Post
    My question involves personal property located in the State of: California
    so my story is we help our son in law store property from his parents business at a our property for the purpose of clearing out a shop after it was sold. him and his mother had a disagreement on how the shop property was to be sold. two years later after she threatened to sue him he sent her a notice to pic up property after a few months she came a picked up cars but left the to other shop property. she hasn't come back to get the property need it off our property because it is a I sore and health hazard. she threaten to sue again but she is the one who isn't picking up her property. she lives in Arizona also. first can she sue and second can we throw the property away or salvage it. we were told that she gave up her rights when she gave the keys to her son.
    Who the heck told you the bolded? You need to give her specific, in writing (not email or text but written on a piece of paper and mailed) that she must pick up her property by a certain date or you will dispose of it. Since she lives out of state, you should probably give her at least 30 days notice.

In any future posts, please make a better effort to use proper capitalization and punctuation, and please proofread. Your post is very hard to follow.

Quote Quoting lisajean64
    View Post
    she threaten to sue again
    Threatened to sue whom and for what?

Quote Quoting lisajean64
    View Post
    first can she sue
    Yes. Anyone can sue anyone for anything. Will she win? No way of knowing without knowing whom she sues and for what.

Quote Quoting lisajean64
    View Post
    can we throw the property away or salvage it.
    Not sure what you mean by "salvage it," but you certainly can throw it away. However, before you do, you need to comply with the applicable law (note that, while this law expressly references property left by a tenant, it is applicable in other situations as well).

Quote Quoting lisajean64
    View Post
    we were told that she gave up her rights when she gave the keys to her son.
    On it's face, that's absurd. Who told you this?

My son in law consulted a lawyer and he said when she gave up her keys to the shop so her son can clear it out

His mom threatened to sue because he refused to sell her property so I believe she thought she had the right. She was told to come pick up the property so she threatened him with a letter from her lawyer

Salvage take to a salvage yard it is old drive shaft parts and shop equipment that doesn’t work

Quote Quoting lisajean64
    View Post
    My son in law consulted a lawyer and he said when she gave up her keys to the shop so her son can clear it out

His mom threatened to sue because he refused to sell her property so I believe she thought she had the right. She was told to come pick up the property so she threatened him with a letter from her lawyer

Salvage take to a salvage yard it is old drive shaft parts and shop equipment that doesn’t work
    It does not make sense that an attorney would have told him that. Because again, to quote pg1067 "on its face, that is absurd". So, either you are leaving out some important detail (although I cannot imagine what that would be) or your son in law did a really bad job of explaining the situation to the attorney he consulted.

Sons typically would clear out a shop or a house or anything else like that for a widowed mother. For an attorney to say that giving him the keys to do so for her means she gives up the right to the property, is ludicrous.

1. Sponsored Links