Default Subcontracting

My question involves independent contractors in the state of: Arizona

I subcontract out routine office cleaning services to small companies.

All the companies I sub out to are owner operators and usually have between 2-3 employees other than the owner.

They provide all the equipment, cleaning supplies, etc. They donít wear any of our companies logos or use any of our materials. They all have their own clients besides the work I give them and they all carry their own insurances/licenses.

All the subs bill us and charge us on their own payment terms.

We donít control when they do the cleaning, but after we give them the keys, we do specify the time frame they can go in to the building... for instance we tell them you can go in and get it done any time after they close to before they open.

We also tell them the days the client is requesting.

Iím trying my hardest to make sure Iím not miss-classifying. Does everything look in order here? Anything I should do, to make sure Iím nowhere near any grey lines?

Default Re: Subcontracting

Quote Quoting AZjansude
    View Post

All the companies I sub out to are owner operators and usually have between 2-3 employees other than the owner.

They provide all the equipment, cleaning supplies, etc. They don’t wear any of our companies logos or use any of our materials. They all have their own clients besides the work I give them and they all carry their own insurances/licenses.

We don’t control when they do the cleaning, but after we give them the keys, we do specify the time frame they can go in to the building... for instance we tell them you can go in and get it done any time after they close to before they open.

I’m trying my hardest to make sure I’m not miss-classifying. Does everything look in order here? Anything I should do, to make sure I’m nowhere near any grey lines?
    I think you are ok. The facts as you describe them indicates that you are classifying them properly. The fact that they have employees of their own kind of cements things.

Do you pay the individuals or the company that pays the individuals?

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Do you pay the individuals or the company that pays the individuals?
    He said in his first post that his subcontractors were small businesses with 2 or 3 employees, and then further stated that his subcontractors invoice him on their own terms.

I know he wrote that but then he went own to ask about a classification question. If he isn't paying the people then their classification isn't his problem.

Quote Quoting AZjansude
    View Post

They provide all the equipment, cleaning supplies, etc. They donít wear any of our companies logos or use any of our materials. They all have their own clients besides the work I give them and they all carry their own insurances/licenses.

We donít control when they do the cleaning, but after we give them the keys, we do specify the time frame they can go in to the building... for instance we tell them you can go in and get it done any time after they close to before they open.

Iím trying my hardest to make sure Iím not miss-classifying. Does everything look in order here? Anything I should do, to make sure Iím nowhere near any grey lines?
    I would agree with ll that it appears that these businesses are independent contractors.

Arizona use the right-to-control test to determine if the person or company is an IC or an employee. The right-to-control test is mush the same as the ABC tests of other states and the IRS Right-to-control test.

I think you are OK.

1. Sponsored Links