Default Charged for Repairs Due to the Shop's Neglect

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Colorado. I just posted a long thread then it wouldn't post so this is a test. Okay I will try AGAIN. I took my car to a shop to have the brakes inspected as the pedal was going WAY too far down. They said after inspection that it needed a new master cylinder. I authorized the repair. They said it would be 2 days, but the wrong part was sent so it took another 4 or 5 days to get the right one. I paid $325 or near that for the work. I drove the car less than 400 miles and they still did not seem to be right so I took it back in and told them it seemed "soft." They put it on the rack, came back and said "We owe you a big apology. The guy who did the work neglected to hook up the second line and that caused your brake fluid to leak out. It's a good thing you brought it in but don't worry he no longer works here because he messed up too many jobs." So the bled the lines and refilled the fluid at no charge and sent me on my way. I drove the van to a reunion about 280 miles away and back, and when I got back I noticed the front rims were all black and gunked up. So, I took it back in and asked them if that was caused by the leaking fluid or perhaps was it metal shavings from my pads? He looked at the pads and said they were down to metal! They were under warranty as were the rotors. I had all 4 brakes replaced 2 years ago but I only drive this van in the summer to music festivals where it gets parked and then driven home, probably less than 2000 miles in a year. They called the parts house who delivered new pads and said they would "TRY" to turn the rotors. I said no, they were new an under warranty so I want new ones back on it. Then they told me I would have to have the wheel bearings repacked, even though state law does not require it but I know that when they get too hot they DO need to be repacked. (My late husband was a master mechanic so I know a few things.) After almost 4 hours in the shop they said it was done and presented me with a bill for $306, $15 of which was for new caliper clips and the rest was labor. $119 to repack the bearings! I feel that their neglect with the brake line was the root cause of the subsequent issues with the pads and that I should not have been charged for labor. I also asked them "Why did you not call the customers whose vehicles were worked on by the fired mechanic and explain to them that there MIGHT be an issue with his work and to please bring the vehicle in so they could check it?" His reply was that almost all those people had already come back in when they realized there were problems. WTF? That does not seem very responsible to me. Had my brakes failed on a mountain pass I very well could have gone over a cliff or been involved in a serious if not fatal accident due to their neglect. My question is, should I dispute the charge on the credit card and see if they fight it? I believe it was their neglect that caused the pads to burn up and that I should NOT have had to pay the labor to fix all that. Thanks for your advice. P.S. this is a not a corporate business but he does own shops in 3 towns in southern Colorado. On the website there is no section on warranties or guarantee of work. I thought that was required for these kinds of businesses. I was not given a written quote to sign, but I also know that I really had no choice when it came to getting the work done as I don't like the idea of driving around in the mountains with no brakes.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Re: Charged for Repairs Due to the Shop's Neglect

Paragraphs are your friend. This was kind of hard to read.

If one brake fluid leaked out then you would be hard pressed to generate enough pressure to engage the brakes let alone wear off all of the friction material.

The warranty on parts covers the parts, not the labor to remove/install.

Packing wheel bearings takes time and material. It would not be a part of a warranty claim on parts. That sounds pretty reasonable for packing 4 wheel bearings.

While it's possible that you could've been involved in a serious accident you were not. You cannot do anything about what could have happened.

Whether of not the business called customer or not is not your concern.

You could dispute the charges but that's a matter of what the CC company does, not necessarily the law.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

I asked them if at that time they had inspected the pads which generally is part of a complete brake inspection. The pads were fine at that time. It was AFTER they discovered that the line had not been hooked up properly that the pads that were fine when I first brought it in were now metal to metal. It is my belief that had they done the job properly to begin with the subsequent problems would not have occurred so quickly. The original complete brake job (excluding the master cylinder) was not done at this shop. They only messed up the master cylinder job therefore I returned to that shop to have it checked.
    The only reason I was not in an accident is because I pay attention to my vehicles and when something does not feel right, I have it looked at. Had I not listened to my gut and taken it back it I would be driving around thinking that the re-bleeding of the lines and fluid were fine and knowing that my brakes were not very old there should not have been an issue.
    I'll go to another mechanic who actually understands these things, and who won't be a grammar nazi. **** off.

You might be a lawyer but you sure are no mechanic. I obviously know more about cars than you do. Good luck. Your advice was NO help.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

As a matter of fact I work on mechanical equipment and braking systems for a living and am most definitely not a lawyer. Also, you having been married to a mechanic does not make you one.

The recommendation about paragraphs is to make it easier to read rather than one large block. It's hardly being a grammar nazi.

So what do you want to have happen here? Are you prepared to sue? If so can you prove that this was their fault due to improperly installing the master cylinder? Nothing happened to you, you're out a few hundred dollars. If your so completely hacked off abut this situation then you can take your claim to small claims court. the filing fee is small and, who knows , you may win. But, as you admit, you are not a mechanic and are not in a position to PROVE your case. All you can try to do is convince a judge that they are responsible. However, if the mechanics can adequately explain how they are not responsible and have the weight of training and experience behind them it will cause your case problems.

Your attitude sucks, by the way. just because you didn't like what I had to say, doesn't give you license to be rude.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links