Default Lease Paid in Full - Landlord Charging Early Termination

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: FLORIDA

Hi, I recently moved from Florida to Ohio because of family issues. I notified my Apartment Leasing Office back in March this year that my dad was sick and I was going to be moving. Thus, I notified them that I would not be renewing my lease (ending Sep.30th of this year). As it turns out, I ended up having to leave on August 31st. A month prior. HOWEVER, I made sure that I paid for Septemberís rent regardless and turned in my keys. The electricity is also still in my name until September 30th. Before I even left, I asked the girl at the office if I paid off my lease, would they be charging me anything else and she looked at me like I was crazy and said as long as I paid, Iím good.

Now, however, Iím getting charged an early termination fee for a lease I paid in full for. Can they legally do this? Appreciate the help!

As another note: My lease did have an early surrender clause saying we would pay a fee if we terminated the lease early. However; the move-out section specifically states that we are to remain at the dwelling UNLESS all rent for the entire lease term or renewal period is paid in full.

Default Re: Lease Paid in Full - Landlord Charging Early Termination

Quote Quoting TMcArthur9226
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: FLORIDA

Hi, I recently moved from Florida to Ohio because of family issues. I notified my Apartment Leasing Office back in March this year that my dad was sick and I was going to be moving. Thus, I notified them that I would not be renewing my lease (ending Sep.30th of this year). As it turns out, I ended up having to leave on August 31st. A month prior. HOWEVER, I made sure that I paid for September’s rent regardless and turned in my keys. The electricity is also still in my name until September 30th. Before I even left, I asked the girl at the office if I paid off my lease, would they be charging me anything else and she looked at me like I was crazy and said as long as I paid, I’m good.

Now, however, I’m getting charged an early termination fee for a lease I paid in full for. Can they legally do this? Appreciate the help!

As another note: My lease did have an early surrender clause saying we would pay a fee if we terminated the lease early. However; the move-out section specifically states that we are to remain at the dwelling UNLESS all rent for the entire lease term or renewal period is paid in full.
    You didn't terminate your lease early, you paid all the rent that was due under the lease. You didn't even turn off the utilities. You need to challenge the early termination fee and if they don't refund it to you, then you will need to sue them in small claims court.

Quote Quoting TMcArthur9226
    View Post

Now, however, I’m getting charged an early termination fee for a lease I paid in full for. Can they legally do this? Appreciate the help!
    They are crooks and they are counting on you not suing from Ohio.

Thank you. That is exactly what I was thinking.

1. Sponsored Links