Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default California Tow from Private Lot with Pets Inside

My question involves a tow from the state of: California. There is improper signage in lot, the area is crime ridden, it was a dark and stormy night. Left my vehicle with 2 small dogs inside to visit friend in apartment across street. Came back 1.5 hours later, vehicle vanished. No notification, law enforcement not notified. Dogs inside.
    I assumed my vehicle had been stolen and was frantic. Was told by sheriffs dispatcher to start calling tow companies to find my vehicle. Found it.
    I assume tow company had written in back window, “dogs inside.” Isn’t this illegal? How can they tow my van, locked, with 2 small dogs inside and no consideration taken for their safety? The contents had shifted when I picked up vehicle at tow yard about 3 hours later, and obviously the dogs were traumatized.
    Do I have any recourse regarding towing with pets inside vehicle?

Default Re: California Tow from Private Lot with Pets Inside

Quote Quoting MSNAnnieP
    View Post
    it was a dark and stormy night.

Quote Quoting MSNAnnieP
    View Post
    I assume tow company had written in back window, “dogs inside.” Isn’t this illegal?
    Huh?

Quote Quoting MSNAnnieP
    View Post
    How can they tow my van, locked, with 2 small dogs inside and no consideration taken for their safety?
    First of all, no one here has an insight into how this happened. Second, you're the one who left the dogs in an apparently illegally parked car. What consideration did you take for their safety?

Quote Quoting MSNAnnieP
    View Post
    Do I have any recourse regarding towing with pets inside vehicle?
    Assuming your pets were uninjured (and no, "trauma" doesn't count), that they were in the car is of no legal relevance. If the two company violated California towing law, then you may have a basis for a small claims suit.

There is improper signage in lot
    If the sign did not meet the specifications of CVC 22658 (a)(1), than pursuant to 22658 (e)(1) the owner or person in lawful possession of private property is responsible for double the towing/storage costs.

If the owner or person in lawful possession of the property did not authorize the tow in writing than the tow truck driver violated 22658 (l)(1)(A). If you did not receive a photocopy of the authorization than the tow company violated (l)(1)(C)(i). If either or both of these happened than the tow company is civilly is liable, pursuant to 22658 (l)(5), for four times the amount of the cost of the tow/storage.

Additionally, since law enforcement did not know about the location of your vehicle, the towing operator may have violated (m)(1) and may be civilly liable to you, pursuant to (m)(3), for an additional 3 times the amount of the towing/storage charge.

You can request these amount in a letter but you will likely need to sue in small claims court if you actually want to receive them.

A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon. While millions of people were starving, the king was living in luxury. Meanwhile, on a farm in Kansas, a young boy was growing up. A light snow was falling, and the girl in the tattered shawl hadn't sold a violet all day. At that very moment, a young intern at City Hospital was making an important discovery. The mysterious patient in room 213 had finally awakened. She moaned softly.

Could it be that she was the sister of the boy in Kansas who loved the girl with the tattered shawl who was the daughter of the maid who escaped from the pirates? The intern frowned. (See how nicely this all fits together? But what about the King?)

(But what about the King?)
    It was the night of the King's castration
    And everyone hoped the old ball would come off well.
    "Where is the Queen?" said the King.
    "She is in bed with laryngitis" said his aide.
    "Kill the freekin' Greek" said the King
    And a thousand men rushed to do his bidding
    Because the King's word was law.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon. While millions of people were starving, the king was living in luxury. Meanwhile, on a farm in Kansas, a young boy was growing up. A light snow was falling, and the girl in the tattered shawl hadn't sold a violet all day. At that very moment, a young intern at City Hospital was making an important discovery. The mysterious patient in room 213 had finally awakened. She moaned softly.

Could it be that she was the sister of the boy in Kansas who loved the girl with the tattered shawl who was the daughter of the maid who escaped from the pirates? The intern frowned. (See how nicely this all fits together? But what about the King?)
    I need to know about the King!! Ron...When are you gonna finish this story??

ROFLOL

" the area is crime ridden, it was a dark and stormy night......locked, with 2 small dogs inside and no consideration taken for their safety? The contents had shifted when I picked up vehicle at tow yard about 3 hours later, and obviously the dogs were traumatized...."

Where was the OP's consideration for their safety? I'd argue that OP was the one who caused the dogs trauma! Animals and children should not be left in locked cars (and I am assuming the car windows were completely closed since it was a "dark and stormy night"!

Quote Quoting hr for me
    View Post

Where was the OP's consideration for their safety? I'd argue that OP was the one who caused the dogs trauma! Animals and children should not be left in locked cars (and I am assuming the car windows were completely closed since it was a "dark and stormy night"!
    OP has probably left their dogs in the car a hundred times parked while shopping or visiting friends without any problem before. You don't see the difference between a parked car just sitting and the car being towed? If not, you are a moron and probably a liberal.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    OP has probably left their dogs in the car a hundred times parked while shopping or visiting friends without any problem before. You don't see the difference between a parked car just sitting and the car being towed? If not, you are a moron and probably a liberal.
    not a moron....and actually not a liberal.....just a dog lover.... and dogs don't belong in parked unattended cars with all the windows rolled up. Just leave the dogs at home! But I'm from the South and if we did that, the dogs would die from heat stroke...

I apologize for calling you a moron. But it was a dark and stormy night. . Not a sunny hot day where the danger of high temps in the car would cause a dangerous situation. Most pet owners wouldn't leave their pets in a hot sealed up car. And you don't know if the windows were cracked open or rolled up.

People leave their pets in locked cars all the time. I reacted the way I did because you said that OP was to blame for any trauma caused to the dogs. In fact, it was the towing company that should not have towed the car with the dogs inside. Instead, they should have called the police or tried to find the owner. What's the difference between a pet or a child in a locked car? Do you think the towing company would have towed the car with a child locked in the car?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast