Default Business Partner Forged My Signature on a Credit Card Application

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

Hey all! My business partner forged my signature to apply for a business credit card in 2017 without my knowledge. Recently, due to a change of address for the credit card, I was just notified by the bank and I found out that I was a personal guarantor for the card. What should I do now? I already reported it to the bank, but where can I report it to a law enforcement agency? If I directly go to a police station, will the case be ignored? I'd prefer to find out a specific prosecutor for the issue. My business partner has a DRE license. Thank you all very much!

(Sorry for any late responses - I'm just transcribing for my mum, who isn't very good at English. Thanks again!)

Default Re: Business Partner Forged My Signature on a Credit Card Application

Prosecutors rarely deal directly with the public. Go to the police station and file a report. It will go to the proper channels but there is no guarantee that anybody will prosecute.

This is likely to be treated as a civil matter between you and your partner.

Cancelling the card is step one.

If there is a balance making sure your partner pays it is step two. This may require a lawsuit.

Step three is dissolve the partnership. You don't want to be working with a crook.

Default Re: Business Partner Forged My Signature on a Credit Card Application

Quote Quoting throwaway13567
    View Post
    My business partner forged my signature to apply for a business credit card in 2017 without my knowledge.
    Is this person still your partner? Is the business actually a partnership or are you using the term "partner" colloquially?

View Post
    What should I do now?
    If I were you, the very first thing I'd do would be to discuss it with your partner. You said you already reported it to the bank. If you report it to the police, that obviously may have a negative impact on your business.

View Post
    where can I report it to a law enforcement agency?
    Ummm...at the police station (hard to believe you didn't know this).

View Post
    If I directly go to a police station, will the case be ignored?
    Unlikely, but no one here has the ability to predict intelligently how some unknown cops will react to particular stimulus.

View Post
    I'd prefer to find out a specific prosecutor for the issue.
    As in you have a particular person in mind? You're obviously free to contact the district attorney's office in the county where this happened, but the folks there are likely to tell you to make a police report.

1. Sponsored Links