Default Registering Foreign Divorce in California

Good afternoon. I am hoping to get some help regarding the registration of a foreign divorce.

I was married in Long Beach California in 1992. However, we moved to Argentina in 2005 and divorced in Argentina in 2016.

In order to finish registering the divorce in Argentina the registrars office is requesting that the divorce first be registered in the United States.

I have explained to them that divorces are not registered in California if they are from another country. I have been asked to show them in writing that this is true.

Is there any way I can receive something in writing stating that foreign divorces are not registered at the California Registrars office?

Or if there is any information that may help me in resolving this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Default Re: Registering Foreign Divorce in California

I was hoping to find you a "one size fits all" answer but I couldn't.

This first article, though comprehensive, served only to confuse me and some of the statutes referred to no longer exist.

https://www.divorcesource.com/ds/cal...ers-4276.shtml

The sources at the following search don't answer the question much.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=california...&t=ffhp&ia=web

I think you will have to consult a California attorney to figure out how to comply with Argentina's requirements.

Default Re: Registering Foreign Divorce in California

Quote Quoting LizaL
    View Post
    I . . . divorced in Argentina in 2016.

In order to finish registering the divorce in Argentina the registrars office is requesting that the divorce first be registered in the United States.
    If you divorced in Argentina, why would you have to "register[] the divorce in Argentina"? Doesn't make any sense. Does everyone who divorces in Argentina have to "register" the divorce in the U.S.? If not, why are you being singled out for this?

Quote Quoting LizaL
    View Post
    I have explained to them that divorces are not registered in California if they are from another country.
    That is correct.

Quote Quoting LizaL
    View Post
    I have been asked to show them in writing that this is true.
    That makes no sense. You can't show someone something that doesn't exist. It would be like asking if there's something in writing that California doesn't require you to perform the Gumdrop Ritual to get a divorce.

Quote Quoting LizaL
    View Post
    Is there any way I can receive something in writing stating that foreign divorces are not registered at the California Registrars office?
    Well...there's no such thing as "the California Registrars office," so that makes no more sense than registering something with "the California Department of Lollipops."

Ultimately, you have an issue with some agency in Argentina regarding an Argentinian legal proceeding, so you should seek assistance from an attorney in Argentina. There's nothing that anyone in California or the U.S. can do to help you.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    This first article, though comprehensive, served only to confuse me and some of the statutes referred to no longer exist.

https://www.divorcesource.com/ds/cal...ers-4276.shtml
    That article has to do with enforcing foreign custody/visitation/support orders and judgments in California. That's not what the OP is asking about.

1. Sponsored Links