Default Divorce

My question involves a marriage in the state of: New York; wife now lives in India

I'm starting the divorce process now and due to my immigrant wife leaving the US without AP etc (see post history) and living abroad now I will at least try a consultation with an attorney to see if this divorce can be done more painlessly than usual. I was originally thinking of going no-fault but it seems even that process will be complicated by her overseas residential status. Thankfully in any case I acquired most of my assets before divorce. But knowing her I don't know if she'll try to get something anyway. Found some general info on overseas process, e.g. at https://info.legalzoom.com/divorce-s...try-21080.html. I'll consult with the relevant sources and attorneys but meanwhile if anyone here knows anything specific to divorcing an Indian citizen, any info could help.

P.S. planned to post this in my original thread but it's closed.

Default Re: Divorce

Quote Quoting c.m
    View Post
    My question involves a marriage in the state of: New York; wife now lives in India

I'm starting the divorce process now and due to my immigrant wife leaving the US without AP etc (see post history) and living abroad now I will at least try a consultation with an attorney to see if this divorce can be done more painlessly than usual. I was originally thinking of going no-fault but it seems even that process will be complicated by her overseas residential status. Thankfully in any case I acquired most of my assets before divorce. But knowing her I don't know if she'll try to get something anyway. Found some general info on overseas process, I'll consult with the relevant sources and attorneys but meanwhile if anyone here knows anything specific to divorcing an Indian citizen, any info could help.

P.S. planned to post this in my original thread but it's closed.
    Do you mean that you aquired the assets prior to marriage?

Just saw the typo. Affirmative.

Quote Quoting c.m
    View Post
    I was originally thinking of going no-fault but it seems even that process will be complicated by her overseas residential status.

Not necessarily. I imagine that there are process servers (or the equivalent) in India that you can hire to serve the papers on her.

If she responds with a demand for an asset division you work it out or defend.

If she doesn't respond you get divorced by default.

Ask the lawyer about that.

1. Sponsored Links