Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question How to Keep Copies of Important Emails

My question relates to legal practice in the state of:

Not quite sure where to post this, so I apologize if this should be somewhere else!

There's a lot of important emails which I need to keep that I've exchanged with companies, government agencies, financial institutions etc. But I don't want them kept in my actual email. What I want is to keep copies of the emails, and delete them from my actual email. But I don't want to keep physical paper copies either. That said, I'm not exactly sure how to phrase my question so it makes sense, so please forgive me!

How do I keep copies of such emails in the event they are needed for legal purposes?

Default Re: How to Keep Copies of Important Emails

Back in 2008 you posted:

As soon as I can find out how to remove this I will as I don't want my good name associated with this site, so no replies are necessary, I've had more than enough.

Anyways, try this. https://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+can+I+save+important+emails

Quote Quoting StepMomster
    View Post

Not quite sure where to post this, so I apologize if this should be somewhere else!

There's a lot of important emails which I need to keep that I've exchanged with companies, government agencies, financial institutions etc. But I don't want them kept in my actual email. What I want is to keep copies of the emails, and delete them from my actual email. But I don't want to keep physical paper copies either. That said, I'm not exactly sure how to phrase my question so it makes sense, so please forgive me!

How do I keep copies of such emails in the event they are needed for legal purposes?
    There are many ways to do that. Print the email as a PDF file and save the file either on your computer or on a remote server.

Quote Quoting Lexi44
    View Post
    Back in 2008 you posted:

As soon as I can find out how to remove this I will as I don't want my good name associated with this site, so no replies are necessary, I've had more than enough.
    And you found it necessary to include this in your response, why?

I couldn't recall why I hadn't used this website in so many years. So thank you, I appreciate the reminder!

If you have a PC with Windows 7 through 10, use Snipping Tool to capture the image of the email and then save it to the appropriate file. I do that all the time. Very convenient.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...re-screenshots

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    There are many ways to do that. Print the email as a PDF file and save the file either on your computer or on a remote server.
    Okay, that's what I've done with a lot of them already. Just was too leery to delete any since I didn't know if having them as pdf files would be adequate.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    If you have a PC with Windows 7 through 10, use Snipping Tool to capture the image of the email and then save it to the appropriate file. I do that all the time. Very convenient.

I don't, I have a MacBook. But I can take screenshots on it and I also have a browser extension to take screenshots of pages that require scrolling.

While your post tangentially mentions some hypothetical "legal purposes," your post does not otherwise raise any legal issue and might be better suited to a forum about IT issues.

That said, one rather obvious solution would be to save the emails on a hard drive or flash drive. If nothing else, you can print them as PDFs and save them.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post

That's great for short emails that don't have attachments but is otherwise absurdly cumbersome.

View Post
    Okay, that's what I've done with a lot of them already. Just was too leery to delete any since I didn't know if having them as pdf files would be adequate.
    Adequate for what purpose?

View Post

Lots of ways to do it. Some e-mail programs like the one I use allow you to archive e-mail that you want to keep so it's not in your active in boxes, but still accessible if you need them. In any event this is not so much a legal question as a technical/computer one, and there are better forums out there to address those sorts of issues.

If you're going to save them as PDFs or screenshot them, you will want to make sure the headers are visible/saved as well.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

View Post

I don't, I have a MacBook. But I can take screenshots on it and I also have a browser extension to take screenshots of pages that require scrolling.
    Then you are good to go. Just make sure you back up the data to a backup hard drive that is separate from your computer. A little redundancy goes a long way.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast