Default Executor's Sister Moving in

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: New Jersey. My wife is the executor of her fathers estate. He passed on Monday (4 days ago). Her sister was living in an apartment that was owned by the deceased (her father). We have not even buried him yet but she immediately began moving into his house. Everyone is in disbelief. If my wife is responsible for all of the bills what should she do? Her sister will have use of the property, so she will use utilities etc. She also has begun taking items of value and throwing out other things that the other sisters (beneficiaries) my want. The will specifically states the property be sold upon his death. We will be meeting with an estate attorney on Monday but I would be interested in any feedback because this has started a WAR already. Thank You

Default Re: Executor's Sister Moving in

Quote Quoting selgae
    View Post
    My wife is the executor of her fathers estate. He passed on Monday (4 days ago).
    If her father only died four days ago, then your wife isn't the executor of anything. I assume what you meant was that your father-in-law's will nominates your wife to serve as executor, but she won't actually be the executor until she is appointed by the surrogate's court.

Quote Quoting selgae
    View Post
    If my wife is responsible for all of the bills what should she do?
    Your wife isn't responsible for any bills. Assuming she wants to serve as executor of the estate, she should confer with and retain the services of a local probate attorney, which you indicated will happen next week. She should discuss whether it's advisable to seek a restraining order against her sister.

Quote Quoting selgae
    View Post
    She also has begun taking items of value and throwing out other things that the other sisters (beneficiaries) my want.
    There isn't anything that your wife can do until she is appointed as executor, but she could see if the local police will get involved, but that's doubtful.

1. Sponsored Links