Default Removing Not Actual Miles Branded Title

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: SC. I purchased a vehicle a few months ago from a tow yard for a good deal. Unfortunately, it was branded 'Not actual mileage' because it was repossessed through the courts. When I asked SC DMV about it, they said they branded it because the owner didn't provide a title, and they cannot remove the brand even if I can prove that the mileage is infact correct through service records, inspection certificate from Hyundai. The vehicle only has 25000 miles now and I intend to sell it next year upon graduation. Is there anything I can do to remedy the situation? It's hard explaining to buyers why it has that brand and most think I'm coning them. I talked to DMVs in other states and they said I should deal with South Carolina DMV since they are the ones who branded it. The whole branding procedure based on the absence of a title just seems so backward and stupid to me and I cannot find any laws regarding the subject. Any help is appreciated

Default Re: Removing Not Actual Miles Branded Title

Quote Quoting bryaan
    View Post
    The whole branding procedure based on the absence of a title just seems so backward and stupid to me
    It's not backward or stupid. It's necessary to avoid people getting conned by buying vehicles without titles.

Quote Quoting bryaan
    View Post
    I cannot find any laws regarding the subject.
    You aren't likely to find specific statutes that address the branding. When states enact their motor vehicle laws they include provisions that allow a DMV to make whatever rules are necessary to effectively do the job. Those rules are not shared with the public until a member of the public is effected by them, as in your case.

You won't have any trouble selling your car when the time comes. People buy cars with branded titles all the time. They just pay less for them than for comparable vehicles without branded titles.

You bought the car at an auction. Presumably you got it for a lot less money than a comparable car on the private market (or you shouldn't have bought it). If you are only keeping it a year, you should recoup all or most of what you paid for it.

A Carfax will give you the odometer history. That might help. People tend to trust Carfax for some reason. If you don't want to spend the 40 bucks try the following free vehicle history site:

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/

Should give you the odometer history.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post

You bought the car at an auction. Presumably you got it for a lot less money than a comparable car on the private market (or you shouldn't have bought it). If you are only keeping it a year, you should recoup all or most of what you paid for it.
    But-but-but I paid $6,000 for it with a branded title and want to sell it with a clean title next year for $10,250...
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post
    But-but-but I paid $6,000 for it with a branded title and want to sell it with a clean title next year for $10,250...
    Made me laugh.

1. Sponsored Links