Unhappy Eviction

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

I tried my bestt to help my daughter. Signed a yearly lease so she would qualify she has been late several times. This time short over $1000
    I can't do this. I cant pay my rent and hers too. Frivolous spending. If shes get evicted am i liable for the remaining year? I am so stressed out sorry
    don't know what to do. Thank you for your help.

Default Re: Eviction

If you are saying that you co-signed the lease, thus guaranteeing her performance, it means that you pay if she doesn't.

That's what co-signing means.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    If you are saying that you co-signed the lease, thus guaranteeing her performance, it means that you pay if she doesn't.

That's what co-signing means.

Thank you for your response. Yes that is what I mean. So if they evict her I have to pay? Correct? regardless no loopholes to just get her out?

Quote Quoting SarahBrown
    View Post
    Thank you for your response. Yes that is what I mean. So if they evict her I have to pay? Correct? regardless no loopholes to just get her out?
    You'll have to pay something. You might only have to pay from the date she is out to the date that the place is re-rented.

That depends on the terms of the lease. See CA Civil Code 1951.4:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...tionNum=1951.4.

Don't keep paying rent just because LL says so. Hold it back until he re-rents and you know how much. If you keep paying the rent, he can just keep collecting it on an empty place.

Meantime, it would be a good idea to "guilt" your daughter about her financial irresponsibility by telling her you can be sued for her debt.

Lesson learned: NEVER co-sign for anybody who needs a co-signer. Not your daughter, son, father, mother, sister, brother, lover, best friend, nobody. Because there is a reason that lenders and landlords won't deal with people who can't qualify. It's because they are a high risk for not paying.

Quote Quoting SarahBrown
    View Post
    If shes get evicted am i liable for the remaining year?
    If you co-signed or guaranteed the lease, then you are liable for unpaid rent through the end of the lease term, subject tot he landlord's duty to mitigate damages. I suggest you read the riot act to your daughter.

1. Sponsored Links