Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Out of Jurisdiction Speeding Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

I was driving on the freeway in the City of Los Angeles. A K9 cop from Glandale, CA passed me at a high rate of speed. He was weaving and making lane changes without signaling once. I passed him about 6 miles after he initially passed me as he got stuck behind some slow cars. I had a good run and made it safely to the 2nd lane from left prior to him passing the slow cars and attempting to force himself into my lane. He accused me of cutting him off and gave me a speeding ticket (85 mph in a 65) and no proof of insurance or registration. Iím current with both, just didnít have in the car for some reason. I accused him of being a hypocrite due to his poor driving. I signaled on every lane change, but may have sped when I safely got into my lane. I was already well into my lane when he decided it was his and I should move for him. Long story short, he didnít like that I got in front of him while he was on his way home. I was lit up about 10 miles from Glendale. He smirked that the ticket was non-correctable. What options do you think I have? Thanks!

Default Re: Out of Jurisdiction Speeding Ticket

What options do you think I have?
    1. pay the ticket
    2. hire an attorney to fight it
    3. fight it on your own.
    I am surprised you didn't know that. BTW arguing with a cop during a traffic stop is not a wise move. The trial never takes place on the side of the road, only in a courtroom.
    Just for future reference, cops are on duty 24 a day in California and their jurisdiction extends to the entire state, so while he was not in Glendale, that is not a reason to void the ticket.

Quote Quoting CarlosZ
    View Post

I was driving on the freeway in the City of Los Angeles. A K9 cop from Glandale, CA passed me at a high rate of speed. He was weaving and making lane changes without signaling once. I passed him about 6 miles after he initially passed me as he got stuck behind some slow cars. I had a good run and made it safely to the 2nd lane from left prior to him passing the slow cars and attempting to force himself into my lane. He accused me of cutting him off and gave me a speeding ticket (85 mph in a 65) and no proof of insurance or registration. I’m current with both, just didn’t have in the car for some reason. I accused him of being a hypocrite due to his poor driving. I signaled on every lane change, but may have sped when I safely got into my lane. I was already well into my lane when he decided it was his and I should move for him. Long story short, he didn’t like that I got in front of him while he was on his way home. I was lit up about 10 miles from Glendale. He smirked that the ticket was non-correctable. What options do you think I have? Thanks!
    Yep. A speed citation is not correctable. Obviously. What code section was cited? An insurance violation is not correctable, either, though the court can drop it upon proof that the vehicle was insured at the time of the cite and you would incur an admin. fee. And even if the officer did not indicate the registration offense to be correctable, if you present proof of registration to the court, the court can choose to make it correctable.

As for the jurisdiction, they are both in L.A. County, so you're out of luck there.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Even in court accusing the officer of being a hypocrite won't work. They're allowed that. And just because he was speeding or whatever doesn't mean you can. There's a fundamental principle your mother should have taught you long ago: two wrongs do not make a right.

As for the jurisdiction, they are both in L.A. County, so you're out of luck there.

I still get a chuckle out of the driver who pulled on to the 101 from a city street, and thought only CHP could pull him over for a traffic violation.

Quote Quoting doucar
    View Post
    I still get a chuckle out of the driver who pulled on to the 101 from a city street, and thought only CHP could pull him over for a traffic violation.
    Don't condemn them so quickly, not everybody understands the law, thatís why they come here for help. Be a little more compassionate.
    I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.

chuckle=condemn? Are you perhaps a millennial?

Quote Quoting doucar
    View Post

I once pulled over a driver doing 105+ on I-805 at the I-5 interchange and was told, "You can't stop me, you don't have jurisdiction, you're not the CHP!" I informed him that I guessed he would have a great defense, then. I also cited him into a court at the other end of the county from where he lived (my home court was far from his home - pity he didn't ask for the County Seat). I never saw him in court ... he pled guilty.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    So is that the general rule? Any cop can issue tickets in his/her county (only)? CHP being the exception with statewide jurisdiction, I assume. Is there some statute that spells that out?

Quote Quoting CarlosZ
    View Post

I was driving on the freeway in the City of Los Angeles. A K9 cop from Glandale, CA passed me at a high rate of speed. He was weaving and making lane changes without signaling once. I passed him about 6 miles after he initially passed me as he got stuck behind some slow cars. I had a good run and made it safely to the 2nd lane from left prior to him passing the slow cars and attempting to force himself into my lane. He accused me of cutting him off and gave me a speeding ticket (85 mph in a 65) and no proof of insurance or registration. Iím current with both, just didnít have in the car for some reason. I accused him of being a hypocrite due to his poor driving. I signaled on every lane change, but may have sped when I safely got into my lane. I was already well into my lane when he decided it was his and I should move for him. Long story short, he didnít like that I got in front of him while he was on his way home. I was lit up about 10 miles from Glendale. He smirked that the ticket was non-correctable. What options do you think I have? Thanks!
    So you planning to pass police cars again? Speed in cops' plain view? Call them hypocrites when they pull you over? Just curious.

Quote Quoting zeljo
    View Post
    So is that the general rule? Any cop can issue tickets in his/her county (only)? CHP being the exception with statewide jurisdiction, I assume. Is there some statute that spells that out?
    Look at Section 830.1(a) of the California Penal Code. It allows city police officers to take action for offenses outside their city - As to any public offense committed or which there is probable cause to believe has been committed in the peace officer's presence, and with respect to which there is immediate danger to person or property, or of the escape of the perpetrator of the offense.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast