Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Intent to Relocate in Indiana

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Indiana

My ex moved and told me about it, but didnít file the intent to relocate. A friend told me this is suppose to be done. My ex said she had not heard about it and I had t either before now. What should I do? Do I have to file a motion for anything to be done about it? Or should I let it go since parenting time has not been effected and she told me?

We settled everything outside of court and came to a mutual agreement. And are civil towards each other. We just arenít sure what to do at his point since it is done.

Default Re: Intent to Relocate in Indiana

If you are happy with the situation why rock the boat.

The state isn't going to get involved unless one of you does something to get them involved.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post

The state isn't going to get involved unless one of you does something to get them involved.
    So they wonít do anything unless one of us files a motion against the other? This is what I was thinking. But neither one of us wants to break the law or get into trouble for not doing it.

Your friend is right about what should have been done.

Here's the statutory requirements:

https://law.justia.com/codes/indiana...7/chapter-2.2/

It says you must do this, you must do that, but there doesn't seem to be any penalties for not doing this and that other than the CP gets to relocate if the NCP doesn't object within the time limit provided.

Seems to me that you've accomplished that informally. She told you, you didn't object, nothing else has changed.

It might be a good idea to file a joint stipulation with the court, explaining all that.

I googled and couldn't find any Indiana forms. If you google the subject you'll find stipulation formats from other states. If you feel creative you can modify one to fit your local court. If you aren't comfortable with DIY, I can't imagine a lawyer charging more than a couple of hundred to create one for you.

You also have the option of not doing anything.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post

It says you must do this, you must do that, but there doesn't seem to be any penalties for not doing this and that other than the CP gets to relocate if the NCP doesn't object within the time limit provided.

Seems to me that you've accomplished that informally. She told you, you didn't object, nothing else has changed.

It might be a good idea to file a joint stipulation with the court, explaining all that.

I googled and couldn't find any Indiana forms. If you google the subject you'll find stipulation formats from other states. If you feel creative you can modify one to fit your local court. If you aren't comfortable with DIY, I can't imagine a lawyer charging more than a couple of hundred to create one for you.

Yeah we have no issues. We coparent well. We were only concerned that something might happen when we change info with the child support office. But are they not connected? If nothing will happen from it if neither of us argue it, then we might as well leave it alone..

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post

View Post

Yeah we coparent fine. We get along. She was a little concerned something might come back to bite her from changing her address through the child support office, but isnít that a separate thing? But, if nothing will happen without one of us initiating it, then I think weíd rather leave well enough alone.

Is this posting? I donít see my response

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post

View Post

We coparent well and get along. She was a little concerned something might happen from changing her address through child support office. But if the only way anything would happen is if one of us initiated it, then we would rather not rock the boat and leave well enough alone.

We coparent well and get along. She was a little concerned something might happen from changing her address through child support office. But if the only way anything would happen is if one of us initiated it, then we would rather not rock the boat and leave well enough alone.

Just for the record, if your ex was asking these questions here giving the same set of facts I'm betting that would be some advice to get the paperwork with the court right. It wouldn't be a big deal since you are fine with it.

Quote Quoting Jkm9825
    View Post
    My ex moved and told me about it, but didn’t file the intent to relocate.
    Ex-what? Ex-wife? Ex-girlfriend? Which of you is the custodial parent? Does your divorce decree or custody order contain any sort of provision relating to moving? If so, what does it say? Did your ex move from some identified state to Indiana or from Indiana to some unidentified state? Either way, what is the unidentified state? What I'm getting at is whether we're talking Indianapolis to Nome, AK or something like Rivare, IN to Wren, OH.

Quote Quoting Jkm9825
    View Post
    A friend told me this is suppose to be done.
    Is your friend a family law attorney in the state where the divorce decree or custody order was entered? If not, what is the legal and/or factual basis for your friend's assertion?

Quote Quoting Jkm9825
    View Post
    What should I do?
    What do you want to do -- i.e., what result do you want to achieve?

Quote Quoting Jkm9825
    View Post
    Do I have to file a motion for anything to be done about it?
    No.

Quote Quoting Jkm9825
    View Post
    We settled everything outside of court and came to a mutual agreement.
    Does that mean that there's no divorce decree or custody/visitation order? Or does it mean that there is a decree or order that is based on the terms of a settlement agreement?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast