Default Consumer Product I Wish to Make with Blue Lotus Petals

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Indiana

Hello,
    I am starting up a business making herbal cigarettes. One of the products I wish to make is cigarettes with blue lotus petals. I've read that blue lotus, while legal, cannot be sold for human consumption in the US. However, I am seeing teas and extracts sold on amazon, which could only be consumed. Amazon is very strict on things like this, so there must be a loophole in the wording or something that I don't understand. It looks like it may come down to the definition of "consume."

My question is, can I legally produce and sell blue lotus cigarettes in the US?

Thanks so much for any help!!

Default Re: Consumer Product I Wish to Make with Blue Lotus Petals

To my knowledge, they have not (federally) controlled Nymphaea Caerulea yet. It's technically legal to sell as a "food supplement." There are certain restrictions on how you market it (you can't make any health claims, etc..).

Default Re: Consumer Product I Wish to Make with Blue Lotus Petals

Quote Quoting aaron2100
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Indiana

My question is, can I legally produce and sell blue lotus cigarettes in the US?
    I strongly recommend you consult an attorney in your state on that. The answer is not a simple one since federal, state, and local laws may all regulate what may be included in cigarettes sold in their respective jurisdictions. So you need to know where they may be allowed and where they are prohibited.

Have you done or obtained any scientific studies to determine if smoking those petals would pose a human health risk? If not, how do you know that smoking these petals would be safe? When selling a product of this kind, you need to ensure that the product is reasonably safe and even then you'll need to have a very good insurance policy that will cover you should customers suffer serious health problems from it. Consider that recently a number of very serious lung conditions have arisen in young people who are vaping, resulting in the death of one person and hospitalization of others. They've not yet determined which specific vape products might be the source of the problem, but should they narrow it down to some particular product or group of products you can bet the sellers of those products will be facing some very expensive lawsuits. You don't want to be facing that sort of problem without a very good policy that will cover you for all the claims.

1. Sponsored Links