Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Debt and Liens

Mother left her home to the 3 daughters as tenants in common with rights of survivorship. I put my granddaughter on the Deed to my house as her inheritance.
    That makes no sense at all. You can't have common tenancy with survivorship rights. Indiana only permits survivorship rights on joint tenancy (or entirety, which requires the tenants to be married to each other).

Putting someone on the deed isn't giving her "inheritance," it's transferring some amount of the property (most likely half) to her at the time you made the deed. It's by and large A BAD IDEA both you and your granddaughter,.. It's an even worse idea if granddaughter isn't 18. You could have investigated a reverse mortgage, but you can't do that if you have someone on the deed who is under age 62.

You need to get SERIOUS expert advice before you do anything else disadvantageous to you and yours heirs.

Quote Quoting blady
    View Post
    Ok. Thank you all. We will contact both a tax professional and a bankruptcy attorney. Does anyone have any thoughts on those companies that advertise they can help you relieve your tax debt if over $10,000?

Thanks.
    Yes, most of them are worthless and what tax professionals call "offer mills". They will charge you 4-6 thousand dollars and you only have about a 10% chance that they will actually accomplish anything for you.

Ok. Thanks. We got caught in something like that for debt consolidation several years ago. They ended up taking almost half of what we settled for. Learned that the hard way.

As far as deeds, our one property deed says "quitclaims to Sister 1, Sister 2, and Sister 3 as joint tenants with rights of survivorship (the "Grantees")" . Is that not valid? (proper names are filled in)

And the other says I "quitclaims to me and granddaughter as joint tenants with rights of survivorship (the "Grantees") " Is that not valid? (proper names filled in) She is 27 years of age.

Thanks.

Quote Quoting blady
    View Post
    Ok. Thanks. We got caught in something like that for debt consolidation several years ago. They ended up taking almost half of what we settled for. Learned that the hard way.

As far as deeds, our one property deed says "quitclaims to Sister 1, Sister 2, and Sister 3 as joint tenants with rights of survivorship (the "Grantees")" . Is that not valid? (proper names are filled in)

And the other says I "quitclaims to me and granddaughter as joint tenants with rights of survivorship (the "Grantees") " Is that not valid? (proper names filled in) She is 27 years of age.

Thanks.
    i don’t have the answer offhand and don’t have time to research it but whether that second deed is valid will depend on Indiana’s position of creating a joint tenancy and how it demands respect for the four unities. In some states you cannot create a valid joint tenancy wros if you are the grantor and also one of the grantees. Some states do not demand such strict respect. I don’t know Indiana’s position offhand.

Indiana does have rules regarding the construct of documents to be recorded by the county recorder. A deed would need to meet these specs to be eligible to be recorded

b) The county recorder may receive for record an instrument or a document if:
    (1) the instrument or document consists of at least one (1) individual page measuring not more than eight and one-half (8 1/2 ) inches by fourteen (14) inches that is not permanently bound and is not a continuous form;

(2) the instrument or document is on white paper of at least twenty (20) pound weight and has clean margins:
    (A) on the first and last pages of at least two (2) inches on the top and bottom and one-half ( 1/2 ) inch on each side;  and

(B) on each additional page of at least one-half ( 1/2 ) inch on the top, bottom, and each side;  and

(3) the instrument or document is typewritten or computer generated in black ink in at least 10 point type.

I found some rules for Shelby county They should be the same across the state but you can check your county to ensure all requirements are met

http://www.co.shelby.in.us/Portals/0...structions.pdf

Hi this is the worst part and those claims even am going through it, not able to get solution.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2