Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Authorized and Legally Parked Vehicle Towed on College Campus with No Warning

I would simply like to know if there is any legal precedent allowing me to file charges against either the employee that authorized the removal, or the campus itself.

No. There is no legal precedent allowing you to file charges against either the employee that authorized the removal or the campus itself. You have no legal recourse against anyone. You have no damages and nothing to sue for.

Default Re: Authorized and Legally Parked Vehicle Towed on College Campus with No Warning

Quote Quoting Ulrich_Stern
    View Post
    I came here asking for advice and have been greeted by nothing but prejudice regarding my status as a student, comments about "Life Sucks", and doubts about whether I've followed through on gathering what info I need.
    I don't recall any of that in my response.

After several hours of research and consulting, I have determined that Texas Code 2308.259 does include sections that allow me to pursue legal action.
    Texas 2308.259 Towing Company’s Authority to Tow Vehicle From University Parking Facility
    • (a) In this section:
    o (1) “Special event” means a university-sanctioned, on-campus activity, including parking lot maintenance.
    o (2) “University” means:
     (A) a public senior college or university, as defined by Section 61.003, Education Code; or
     (B) a private or independent institution of a higher education, as defined by Section 61.003, Education Code.
    • (b) Subject to Subsection (c), an individual designated by a university may, to facilitate a special event, request that a vehicle parked at a university parking facility be towed to another location on the university campus.
    • (c) A vehicle may not be towed under Subsection (b) unless signs complying with this section are installed on the parking facility for the 72 hours preceding towing enforcement for the special event and for 48 hours after the conclusion of the special event.

Texas Code 2308.259

Okay. Now, tell us what financial damages you suffered.

The university may have acted unlawfully by ordering the tow without complying with the law, unfortunately there aren't significant enough damages for any legal action to be taken or warranted. For this one isolated case, law enforcement will not take action. You can take civil action but for it to be warranted you would need to have suffered some sort of significant damage. You did not. This situation is such a minor deal that it is a waste of time dwell upon it any longer.

I think you are all wrong. I believe he can sue for 2, maybe 3 million dollars. His car will probably be a valuable antique in a couple of hundred years and this towing may hinder his ability to sell it. Additionally he has suffered emotional harm which I am sure will cost him a bunch in medical appointments and treatments.

Sorry OP, I know I am not giving you sound legal advice, but the best advice you NEED was already given - get over it and accept some wisdom. Or you can raise a fuss, complain to many people, at most get an apology...and then next year when you need a favor, you somehow don't get it.....

Quote Quoting Guybrush
    View Post
    I think you are all wrong. I believe he can sue for 2, maybe 3 million dollars. His car will probably be a valuable antique in a couple of hundred years and this towing may hinder his ability to sell it. Additionally he has suffered emotional harm which I am sure will cost him a bunch in medical appointments and treatments.

Sorry OP, I know I am not giving you sound legal advice, but the best advice you NEED was already given - get over it and accept some wisdom. Or you can raise a fuss, complain to many people, at most get an apology...and then next year when you need a favor, you somehow don't get it.....
    The only advice I was given here, was to consult an actual legal aide instead of a forum that I can only assume is run by those that have take a single criminal justice class, or have watched a lot of Law and Order.

Again I wish you the best, and pray that you do not quit your day jobs.

This is yours truly, Signing off of Expert Law for the last time.

My friend, as long as you cannot show any financial damages, even in the unlikely event that you could get it into court, the BEST you could expect would be the judge to tell the school, next time send out notices, and then tell you to go home and stop wasting his time.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2