Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Money Order Situation

The other day, a man asked me to put in a money order for him since his account wasnít working. Feeling bad, I allowed him to put the money in my account and then withdrew the money. All day, my guts have been telling me that this was a bad idea. Whatís the worse that can happen if the money order turns out to be stolen? Will I get in trouble? Iím really panicking right now so anything can help.

Default Re: Money Order Situation

Your gut is telling you the truth.

A stranger approaches you and wants you to deposit a money order made out to him (supposedly) into your bank account and then you withdrew the money from your account and gave it to him. What was in it for you? Did you get some of the money?

At best, you will not see the money he withdrew ever again once the bank finds out the money order was stolen or forged. They will back charge your account. And at most, you may be implicated in a fraud scheme which could be a criminal offence.

Did you just fall off the turnip truck? How old are you?

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Your gut is telling you the truth.

A stranger approaches you and wants you to deposit a money order made out to him (supposedly) into your bank account and then you withdrew the money from your account and gave it to him. What was in it for you? Did you get some of the money?

At best, you will not see the money he withdrew ever again once the bank finds out the money order was stolen or forged. They will back charge your account. And at most, you may be implicated in a fraud scheme which could be a criminal offence.

Did you just fall off the turnip truck? How old are you?

I am only 18

I’m not concerned about paying a fine or losing money. I just don’t want a criminal record since I’m only in college

Also do you know how long it will take if someone reports this? Sorry if I seem frantic, I don’t want anything to happen to me and my mother[/QUOTE

Last, should I report this to the bank/police asap?

I am only 18

I’m not concerned about paying a fine or losing money. I just don’t want a criminal record since I’m only in college

Also do you know how long it will take if someone reports this? Sorry if I seem frantic, I don’t want anything to happen to me and my mother[/QUOTE

Last, should I report this to the bank/police asap?[/QUOTE]

You got caught in one of the oldest scams in the book, kid, congratulations.

Yes, you should definitely report this to both the bank and the police. If you self-report that you got scammed, it is far less likely (not that it was ever very likely) that you'll be held responsible for anything but being a stupid kid.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    You got caught in one of the oldest scams in the book, kid, congratulations.

Yes, you should definitely report this to both the bank and the police. If you self-report that you got scammed, it is far less likely (not that it was ever very likely) that you'll be held responsible for anything but being a stupid kid.
    I understand that I was being stupid and I 100% agree. I self-report the scam to the FTC. I do have a few questions. Should I still go to the police in person to report this? And what is the worse that can happen to me? Will a criminal record be placed on me if someone reports this?

I'm really scared and I understand that I was being stupid. Anything advice or course of action is very appreciated.

Quote Quoting shine9004
    View Post
    I understand that I was being stupid and I 100% agree. I self-report the scam to the FTC. I do have a few questions. Should I still go to the police in person to report this? And what is the worse that can happen to me? Will a criminal record be placed on me if someone reports this?

I'm really scared and I understand that I was being stupid. Anything advice or course of action is very appreciated.
    You have done nothing criminal. You do need to report it to your local police and you do need to report it to the bank. The only long term harm will come from not paying the bank back the money.

Kid, stop worrying about being charged with anything. You're not going to be charged and you're not going to have a criminal record. You are the victim here.

Who is going to report it? Who knows about it except the perp? He sure isn't going to,

You do need to report it to the police and you do need to report it to the bank. It's too late to report it to the bank until Tuesday if your bank is like most, but you can and should report it to the police today.

[QUOTE=PayrolGuy;1124534}You do need to report it to your local police and you do need to report it to the bank. The only long term harm will come from not paying the bank back the money.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the respond. Can you explain the last sentence you said a bit more? Do you mean that I have to pay back the bank the amount that was added?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Kid, stop worrying about being charged with anything. You're not going to be charged and you're not going to have a criminal record. You are the victim here.

Who is going to report it? Who knows about it except the perp? He sure isn't going to,

You do need to report it to the police and you do need to report it to the bank. It's too late to report it to the bank until Tuesday if your bank is like most, but you can and should report it to the police today.
    Okay thank you much. I really appreciate it

One last thing (Im very sorry for asking so much but your help is appreciated). How should I go about reporting this incident? As you can tell, I'm quite inexperienced (and stupid) when it comes to these types of situation. Again, you're helping me out a lot and I am very grateful.

For the police, you call the non-emergency number and tell them you got scammed out of some money and you want to make a report. They'll tell you what to do next.

For the bank, call or go into the bank and ask to speak to a customer service representative. Tell them what happened. They may have you talk to someone else but that will depend on the bank management.

No need to be scared. It's going to be okay.

Also I was reading on other forums that people who have put in a money order that did not belong to them has gotten in trouble with the law, but they were the ones who found or stole the money order. Is my situation different? Because someone used me and my bank account to get money.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    For the police, you call the non-emergency number and tell them you got scammed out of some money and you want to make a report. They'll tell you what to do next.

No need to be scared. It's going to be okay.
    Thank you so much. I just wanted to clarify that I did not lose any money. The person put in a money order for a certain amount and asked for it back in cash. To be more specific, the money order had a total of $990. I dont know if the value influences anything

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast