Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Money Order Situation

Not yet, unfortunately. I wanted to make sure that the MO was indeed fake, (I asked a lawyer about it, they said to first verify if the MO was fake/altered before doing anything just yet).

Let's say I don't report to the police (I will report don't worry). Will they still be notified?

I know, dumb question. I'm just curious.

In fairness, I asked a friend of mine who is the VP of a bank in Los Angeles to review his post and she suggested that they MIGHT close his account if he was determined to be a bad risk. So I can't blame the kid, here, (I"m tired of calling him Kid; from now on he's Harry) Harry here for raising the issue again. But Harry, if they haven't done so by now, they're not going to. If they were going to do it, they would have done it when they debited your account the $990.

But, Harry, you did call the cops, right? You did report this, right?

ETA: Sorry, your last post wasn't there when I hit submit. No, THE BANK IS NOT GOING TO NOTIFY LAW ENFORCEMENT. I don't know where you ever got the idea that they would, and I wish you'd get the idea out of your head.

YOU need to do it. You're the one who got scammed. You're the one who can identify the guy. You're the guy who lost the money. You're the victim here.

If you don't do it, law enforcement will never know. And when the next person who gets scammed comes in and reports it, they won't have any idea that you were affected too, and might be able to provide evidence against him that would help them.

PLEASE get the idea out of your head that if law enforcement finds out, they'll think you were involved in an attempt to defraud the bank. I could throttle the person who suggested that to you. IT IS NOT TRUE and I have that directly from my banking friend, who completely disclaimed the idea that you would be considered complicit. PLEASE, Harry, just call the cops. I understand that the lawyer said wait till you know it was fake (I don't know what rock that lawyer has been living under that he's not familiar with this very common scam) but now you know - quit putting it off.

The money was deducted this afternoon, but I was still able to buy food using my card. Not sure if you saw my last post but I didn't report yet (I will soon).

Edited my last post after I saw it. When you say Soon, Harry, I hope you mean this afternoon. The longer you wait, the less likely it is that the cops will be able to take any action. There never was much chance, but there is some, and the longer you wait, the more likely it is that he's headed off for a new city and a new set of suckers (no offense intended).

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    In fairness, I asked a friend of mine who is the VP of a bank in Los Angeles to review his post and she suggested that they MIGHT close his account if he was determined to be a bad risk. So I can't blame the kid, here, (I"m tired of calling him Kid; from now on he's Harry) Harry here for raising the issue again. But Harry, if they haven't done so by now, they're not going to. If they were going to do it, they would have done it when they debited your account the $990.

But, Harry, you did call the cops, right? You did report this, right?

ETA: Sorry, your last post wasn't there when I hit submit. No, THE BANK IS NOT GOING TO NOTIFY LAW ENFORCEMENT. I don't know where you ever got the idea that they would, and I wish you'd get the idea out of your head.

YOU need to do it. You're the one who got scammed. You're the one who can identify the guy. You're the guy who lost the money. You're the victim here.

If you don't do it, law enforcement will never know. And when the next person who gets scammed comes in and reports it, they won't have any idea that you were affected too, and might be able to provide evidence against him that would help them.

PLEASE get the idea out of your head that if law enforcement finds out, they'll think you were involved in an attempt to defraud the bank. I could throttle the person who suggested that to you. IT IS NOT TRUE and I have that directly from my banking friend, who completely disclaimed the idea that you would be considered complicit. PLEASE, Harry, just call the cops. I understand that the lawyer said wait till you know it was fake (I don't know what rock that lawyer has been living under that he's not familiar with this very common scam) but now you know - quit putting it off.
    Alright I will.

Thanks for everything you said and I apologize for constantly repeating myself and being a nuisance. You really helped out a lot.

edit: no offense taken. I was the idiot who got caught up in this situation

Glad we could help, Harry. Let us know what the police say.

The whole thing happened to me as well. I lost my bank account over it, and the cops are on it.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    No, THE BANK IS NOT GOING TO NOTIFY LAW ENFORCEMENT.
    You really don't know that.

http://fraudaid.com/library/doc/arrest_message.htm

It happens that some banks do.

Yes, chyvan, I really do know that.

Shut the hell up.

So I have some news

The police told me that they will try but are most likely aren't going to help me for two reasons. 1) Since I technically withdrew money and "willingly" handed over money, it's not considered a criminal case. 2) What cbg said earlier is possible, that this individual might have left for another state/city since this happened a week ago.

The best thing I can do is sue this individual but even that is troublesome since I do not know the individual's name/phone/address/etc. It will also be difficult to access the bank and ATM's surveillance footage since those are only disclosed if a case opens up.

Also, I was able to talk to several people who faced a similar issue, but the scary part is that it happened in the same area and bank. These people also told me that the police were unable to help out for the same reasons. (Not sure why the police hasn't done anything when obviously this has been an on-going issue)

Also, I read the article chyvan posted and I wanted to share this:

"You deposited counterfeit/stolen/forged checks or money orders in your account and when they were returned, the bank or credit union called law enforcement (this usually only occurs at small financial institutions)."

The bank I went to was Chase, a relatively large corporation. The money order was returned for being altered/fictitious.

"You owe a bank or other business for negotiating counterfeit checks or money orders and have failed to repay the debt or correspond with the creditor for several weeks or months."

The bank already deducted the $990 plus a $12 fee. My account is still accessible and is not overdraft.

Basically, I have to live with situation and somehow recover the $990 myself

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Quoting ijcaff97
    View Post
    The whole thing happened to me as well. I lost my bank account over it, and the cops are on it.
    If you don't mind me asking, what bank account did you have and what led to it closing?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Quoting chyvan
    View Post
    You really don't know that.

http://fraudaid.com/library/doc/arrest_message.htm

It happens that some banks do.
    This articles from the same website basically sums up what happened and what could happen.

http://www.fraudaid.com/solution_cen...option3/4a.htm

1. Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast